Top 40 Free Agents: 40-21

With a wicked Adam Wainwright curveball thrown past a swinging Brandon Inge for the last out of the World Series, the off season is upon us. Sox fans have endured an interminable postseason, a boring October compared to the last three years, and now some of the fun can begin. The winter meetings are just around the corner and soon the MLB trade and free agent rumors will be sweeping the country. In a matter of weeks, or months, I??ll be tuning into WEEI and refreshing SOSH boards to get the latest scoop on a targeted player.
While the hot stove is enjoyable, it brings out the true meaning of sports. Individual greed and money over team attitude is the key concept. Players that you watch every day during the summer and build this baseball relationship with often depart for other teams. Winter meetings turn into ego matches and morning-hour negotiations that Peter Gammons will surely keep us informed on. All of these projections, rumors and predictions are geared towards that celebratory February morning when the truck is packed for the trek down to Fort Myers, Florida and a new Red Sox season.
It??s fitting that during this point in November, when a Mike Timlin signing and coaching changes are the big news stories, that we get some predictions down on the upcoming free agent market. There are some key, intriguing, franchise players on the list who will likely demand an insane sum of money, and some team will put that insane sum of money in their pockets. I love baseball. So here we go, the top 40 free agents of 2006-07 and where they will wind up come that magical morning in February. Numbers 40 thru 21.?

Categories: Adam Kennedy Adam Wainwright Akinori Iwamura Andy Pettitte Brandon Inge Dave Roberts David Dellucci Eric Gagne Gil Meche Joe Borowski Juan Pierre Kei Igawa Luis Gonzalez Mark DeRosa Mark Mulder Rich Aurilia Ted Lilly Trot Nixon Woody Williams

11 Responses to “Top 40 Free Agents: 40-21” Subscribe

1. Chris September 20, 2005 at 6:16 AM #

If Renteria is 30 years old, I'm 15.
    I'd guess he's actually 34 or so, which would make his performance of the last couple years make a lot more sense.

2. Peter N November 6, 2006 at 9:56 AM #

Our Sox have the hots for your number 21…don't be surprised if…….

3. Craig November 6, 2006 at 11:36 AM #

Correct and I believe he's more of a 3B than a 2B though he can play the latter as well as some OF.

4. Trotsky November 6, 2006 at 1:45 PM #

I have a reallly hard time getting behind Iwamura. Japanese defense is awful. I MEAN AWFUL!!!! Robert Petagine won a GG. Kaz Matsui won a GG. Watch some clips… outfield defense seems to be okay, but IF defense can barely field grounders.
    Offensively we need to make one trade and one FA signing this offseason. Julio Lugo. Keep Pedroia at 2nd.
    Trade Mike Lowell for Pat Burrell. Shift Youkilis to 3rd base.
    Pitching we NEED to get Matsuzaka. NEED TO GET HIM.
    Bullpen we should sign one of Dotel, Gagne or Baez.
    offseason done.

5. Shane November 6, 2006 at 2:10 PM #

Doesn't Burrell play LF?

6. Trotsky November 6, 2006 at 2:58 PM #

Shane,
    He came up through the system though as a third baseman and played a lot of first base with the Phillies before they signed Thome. During his time there, according to a BP defensive statistic, he was "above average". Probably Kevin Millar-esque, from what I gather. Millar, BTW, wasn't "good" but he was very underrated defensively there and got a bad rap more than he deserved. We won the WS with him there too.
    Burrell has already stated that he'd go to first base and has waived his no-trade clause for 3 teams. The Yankees, the Giants and the Red Sox.
    Burrell is 30 years old. Continuously puts up .900+ OPS. Continuously plates 100ish RBI's per season.
    The knock on him last season was his BA with RiSP. Last year he was poor in that department, but his two previous seasons combined he had an OPS of 1.000+ w/ RiSP!!!!!
    I also think that moving him out of a 3,4 role he'd flourish protecting Manny in the lineup w/ say, WMP behind him.
    I personally think we match up with them the best out of the 3 teams. We can get this done.

7. Quo November 6, 2006 at 4:54 PM #

This is almost OT, but I see no scenario in which Barfield doesn't start 155 games at 2B for the Pads next season, barring injury of course. I can see DeRosa being part of a platoon at 3B as well as filling in elsewhere, but I don't think he'd be brought in as insurance for a guy who, aside from his OBP, was everything the Padres hoped he would be this year.

8. Sam November 6, 2006 at 9:52 PM #

I'm with Trotsky on Iwamura: color me skeptical. Iguchi hit 30 homers in Japan too, and if not for playing his home games in a bandbox now, he'd barely be hitting 10-15 HR a year.
    Zach, what the hell do the White Sox want with Dave Roberts? First of all, there's no room for him — unless they've already given up on Brian Anderson, which seems foolish, seeing as how he's already among the best defensive OF'ers in the game. And second of all, if in fact they have given up on Anderson, are they going for the weakest offensive outfield in history? You can't have Pod and D-Rob in the same OF and expect to win ballgames.
    What's the scouting report on Igawa? If he's got a power repertoire, perhaps I can believe his numbers might translate to #2 or #3 stuff here in America. But honestly, his K rates in Japan don't impress me, so I can't say I would expect much there. And by the way, I think you might need to check the accuracy of that last sentence in the Igawa paragraph.
    I have no interest in any Lillies, Mulders, Williamses, or Meches. I don't like the health risks with Mulder.
    When exactly did Gagne undergo TJ?

9. Quo November 6, 2006 at 10:48 PM #

I'm guessing, Sam, that if the White Sox pick up Dave Roberts, they'll be shipping Podsednik out. Roberts-Anderson-Dye would not be a terrible OF defense by any stretch of the imagination.

10. Sam November 7, 2006 at 5:42 AM #

Their defense would be great, but that's still an OF that can't hit.

11. Quo November 7, 2006 at 10:08 AM #

Dave would get on base, Dye CAN hit, and Anderson would continue working out his kinks in the 8 or 9-hole. Ideal? No. Potentially successful and easy to accomplish this offseason? Yes. And the White Sox get plenty of offense from 1B, DH, RF, and 3B as far as run production goes, with contributions from C, 2B, and a little from SS. They can afford Brian Anderson's bat. Also, his second-half numbers are not too bad, he probably wouldn't be completely useless next year.