Red Sox sweep a one sided series with White Sox

Red Sox starting pitcher Julian Tavarez statistics aren’t of the all-star caliber variety but Tavarez is easily one of the most reliable pitchers on the staff.
For a pitcher who has started and relieved for Boston this year, Tavarez (7-9), was much more than reliable in the Boston 11-1 win over the Chicago White Sox only giving up two hits, over 6 innings pitched, while walking three and tying his season high in strikeouts with seven in the game.
J.D. Drew (7), David Ortiz (24), and Bobby Kielty(1) all homered as White Sox starter Javier Vazquez picked up his seventh loss of the season (11-7) throwing 109 pitches over 6 innings of work, giving up six hits, seven runs, three walks, but struck out 10 batters in the game.
The last time Drew homered was in Tavarez’ last win back on June 20th against the Atlanta Braves.
Dustin Pedroia had the biggest hit despite the Red Sox (80-51) hitting three homeruns as Pedroia notched a two-run single to center field over the outstretched glove of White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe with two outs in the fifth inning giving Boston a 3-1 lead.
Kielty started the inning with a bunt single down the third base line and Coco Crisp and Julio Lugo kept the inning alive as Crisp put in a good slide at second base and Lugo was safe at first on the fielder’s choice. Lugo stole second base after White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski did not have a handle on the ball and Pedroia followed with his two-run single breaking the game open after Vazquez had been pretty dominant throughout his start.
Ortiz’ 24th homerun of the season came in the next at-bat driving home Pedroia on a blast to center field cushioning the lead at 5-1.
Jermaine Dye hit his 25th homerun of the season for Chicago (56-74) off of Tavarez in the bottom of the second to tie the game at 1-1, but Tavarez was stellar after the solo-homer not allowing a hit until the sixth inning.
Jerry Owens had the second and last hit off of Tavarez with a single to center field.
With the win, Tavarez, lowered his ERA from 5.01 to 4.84 in the start throwing 94 pitches (58 for strikes) in the 6 innings pitched.
Jonathan Papelbon pitched a perfect inning of relief in the bottom of the ninth striking out the side after not seeing any action since the last game of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays series where he earned his 30th save of the season.
Julio Lugo drove home his 63rd RBI of the season on a single in the top of the ninth inning coming against Chicago relief pitcher and former Red Sox Mike Myers.

Categories: A.J. Pierzynski Bobby Kielty Chicago White Sox Coco Crisp David Ortiz Dustin Pedroia Javier Vazquez Jermaine Dye Jerry Owens Jonathan Papelbon Juan Uribe Julian Tavarez Julio Lugo Mike Lowell

12 Responses to “Red Sox sweep a one sided series with White Sox” Subscribe

1. Troy August 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM #

2007 Boston Red Sox American League East Champions. That has a nice ring to it. Hey it's early
    but…….it can happen..

2. Shawn Medeiros August 26, 2007 at 4:21 PM #

Troy:
    That has a very nice ring to it without a doubt!

3. Daniel Rathman August 26, 2007 at 5:17 PM #

That does indeed have a nice ring to it.
    7.5 game lead. What a weekend?!
    If the Yankees don't sweep us, I don't see us squandering this lead.
    Good times.

4. jvwalt August 27, 2007 at 4:22 AM #

Can we just stay in Chicago and keep playing for the rest of the season???
    Boy, did the White Sox go meekly into the night or what? Sometime during the latter stages of Sunday's blowout, Jerry Remy expressed surprise that no Boston batter had been hit by a pitch — or even been brushed back. It's especially hard to believe for a team managed by Ozzie Guillen; clearly, he's already checked out as much as his players have.

5. Daniel Rathman August 27, 2007 at 5:53 AM #

Ozzie, do you now want the last 96 hours of your life back?
    Way to bring out the brooms.
    Now I just hope Mussina tanks again today so the Yankees have to use up their bullpen.

6. Shawn Medeiros August 27, 2007 at 7:36 AM #

Jvwalt:
    I agree with that but at some points I was strayed away from the game considering they were talking about bus tours.
    I would totally love to stay in Chicago.
    My question is how did this almost exact same team win a world series a couple of years ago?
    To me they are not that much differnet of a team.

7. Shawn Medeiros August 27, 2007 at 7:36 AM #

Jvwalt:
    I would totally love to stay in Chicago.
    To me they are not that much differnet of a team.

8. Ralph August 27, 2007 at 11:34 AM #

The White Sox are deplorable! From World Series champs two years ago, to last place behind the hapless Royals. Ozzie should be canned and the pitching staff dumped. I know the Red Sox are a good team, but come on? Outscored 46 – 7 in a four game sweep? Does this team have any pride? They should be investigated by the league. This team is finished and should be broken up.

9. Shawn Medeiros August 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM #

Jvwalt:
    I would totally love to stay in Chicago.
    To me they are not that much differnet of a team.

10. Daniel Rathman August 27, 2007 at 11:42 AM #

Ozzie probably wishes he had the last 96 hours of his life back now.

11. Shawn Medeiros August 27, 2007 at 1:03 PM #

DR: LMAO
    Ozzie probably wishes he was not even the manager at this point. How can you manage all those bumbs without being incredibly frustrated.

12. Shawn Medeiros August 27, 2007 at 9:07 PM #

Is anyone watching the Yankees get absolutely dumped on.
    I am and I am enjoying every minute of it.