Lofton's 2-run homer lifts Tribe to 2-1 advantage

Kenny Lofton may be 40 years old but he is playing like a 25 year old superstar in the playoffs spark plugging the Cleveland Indians lineup.
Lofton hit his first ALCS homerun, a two run shot, off of Daisuke Matsuzaka in the second inning and Cleveland never let the lead up as the Tribe also rode the arm of Jake Westbrook in the 4-2 victory.
Lofton in the 2007 post season is batting .345 with 10 hits, three runs, three doubles, six RBI’s and one stolen base.
Westbrook who suffered the only loss in the Indians ALDS contest against the New York Yankees kept the ball on the ground getting 14 ground ball outs (3 fly outs) over 6 2/3 innings pitched while striking out two, giving up seven hits, two runs, and walked three.
Joe Borowski closed the door in the ninth in 1-2-3 fashion earning his second save in the ALCS.
The only mistake Westbrook made all night was to Jason Varitek as he crushed a ball to dead center field for a two-run homerun to cut the defecit in half 4-2.
Matsuzaka held the Indians in check despite the two-run homerun by Lofton until the fifth inning giving up two more runs on a Asdrubal Cabrera RBI single up the middle and Travis Hafner scratched home another run beating out a double play ball at first base to score Grady Sizemore in the back door to give Cleveland a 4-2 lead.
Matsuzaka finished the night pitching for 4 2/3 innings, six hits, four runs, two walks, and six strikeouts.
Boston had a chance to take an early lead in the top of the second inning before Lofton’s two run homer that barely got out of Jacobs Field, but the Red Sox did not push home any runs with the bases loaded and no outs with the bottom of the order at the dish.
Varitek flied out to left field for the first out and Westbrook as he did all night kept the ball on the ground inducing the first of three double plays as Coco Crisp grounded into the 6-3 twin killing.

Categories: 2007 ALCS Cleveland Indians Coco Crisp Daisuke Matsuzaka Grady Sizemore Jake Westbrook Jason Varitek Joe Borowski Kenny Lofton Travis Hafner

21 Responses to “Lofton's 2-run homer lifts Tribe to 2-1 advantage” Subscribe

1. Guest Columnist October 15, 2007 at 8:44 PM #

Well, imitation is the highest form of flattery (EDIT BY EVAN: Someone posted pretending to be Mike Edelman. Edelman noted the fake comment, and I have deleted both comments, to which this comment is referring to. I've also deleted another uncalled for comment.). And I guess Yankees fans must be awful bored with their team not having played a game in a while.

2. Shawn Medeiros October 16, 2007 at 5:14 AM #

Crappy game and no matter what team wins this ALCS I ask can the Rockies be stopped?

3. Shane October 16, 2007 at 5:36 AM #

I'd say the Rockies will come to a crashing halt when facing the AL, but I had the Cards losing in every round of last year's playoffs, so all bets are off.

4. Shawn Medeiros October 16, 2007 at 6:20 AM #

Exactly, I do not know what to make of this team.
    I have been wondering if this team is going to crash and burn and they keep plugging along.
    But I love watching it though!

5. Sean O October 16, 2007 at 6:59 AM #

Thank god I will be picking up my Wii when the game starts this evening, because I don't think I want to see what happens to Wakefield tonight.
    It's not out of the question to say this is Wakefield's last start.

6. Steven Roth October 16, 2007 at 7:07 AM #

Sean O, a Wii? I'm jealous over here…
    This is NOT Wakefield's last start. He's signed forever with the Red Sox (for cheap) and I think he has a personal goal of pitching as long as he can. He won 17 this year for crying out loud.
    It's just a question of what he does in the offseason to make his body right.
    I want him back as our #5 until his arm falls off.
    This is my 2008 rotation barring any trades or free agent signings. Bye Bye Schilling.
    Beckett
    Dice K
    Wake
    Lester
    No-Hit Kid

7. Steven Roth October 16, 2007 at 7:21 AM #

And Also…this is the lineup I want to see TONIGHT
    CF JACOBY!
    1b YOOOOUK
    DH Big Papi
    LF Manny being Manny
    3b Lowell
    RF Drew (don't pull the ball)
    2b Pedroia
    C Captain Tek
    ss Lugo
    Please Tito, don't lose this series by being stubborn. Pedroia can't get the job done at the top, so put Ellsbury in to replace Coco and stick him at the top.
    People say "oh we need Ellsbury to run like Dave Roberts at the end of the games." BS…we can put Coco in those situations, that's all he's good for. Stolen bases and defensive replacements. We're benching the rookie of the month for Coco?
    Look at Colorado and their rookies lighting it up en route a 7 game postseason winning streak.
    All I ask is for Jacoby!

8. J.P October 16, 2007 at 7:33 AM #

Sox thought they'd won the series after they went ahead in game 2 with the 2 jacks. I'm having a tough time erasing the image of all those smiling and happy faces. Hope that will not be the lasting image of 2007, unless it's Big Papi not hustling in Game 2 extra-innings or making a dumb, dumb out off Rag Doll Manny's bat yesterday.

9. Shawn Medeiros October 16, 2007 at 9:08 AM #

They are going to win tonight. Mike I care watch Wakefield pitches a gem tonight.
    Sox win by a run.
    Take it back to boston.
    BELIEVE GOD DAMNIT BELIEVE!

10. Shane October 16, 2007 at 9:19 AM #

I'm not happy with the way the post-season is going, but I fully expected it to be a 7 game series. We win tonight and it's even again. I've got faith we'll pull it off.

11. Shawn Medeiros October 16, 2007 at 9:41 AM #

We are winning tonight. It is going to happen.
    We bring it to Fenway and its over.
    Maybe I believe to much but I am going to believe until I see us lose four games.

12. Michael Edelman October 16, 2007 at 9:42 AM #

Believe me Shawn, I care. As Evan has pointed out, that comment wasn't me, it was someone pretending to be me. Why anyone would want to pretend to be me, I have no idea, lol

13. Michael Edelman October 16, 2007 at 9:45 AM #

Let's not do the "we are winning" thing though. That all started when everyone said Schilling is going to win. That's not the way baseball works. Even the surest of pitching matchups don't always work out.
    These are two evenly matched teams. I think either one would deserve to win this series and I don't expect either team to win this game. I'm going to wait and see what happens.

14. Shawn Medeiros October 16, 2007 at 10:05 AM #

Both teams are deserving of winning. I am just starting a rally cry. And lets be honest Mike you would not post something as dumb as that was anyway.
    Reading it I knew it was not you.

15. Evan Brunell October 16, 2007 at 10:42 AM #

PLEASE NOTE: Tony Gicas did not leave any comments on this site in this post. He did not make any anonymous comments and was incorrectly implicated.

16. Kevin R October 16, 2007 at 10:51 AM #

Occasionally when I load up a comments page here, it prefills the "Name" box with someone else's name. Wonder if that happened to someone with Mike's name…
    Anyway, I'm going to miss the first hour or so of the game tonight, so when I get home and turn it on I want to see a big lead. Let's go Wake!

17. Daniel Rathman October 16, 2007 at 10:54 AM #

Rain, please. RAIN dammit. It's raining in SF, and it better do the same in Cleveland.
    I'm not watching this one. Just win.

18. Evan Brunell October 16, 2007 at 11:24 AM #

I'll probably be in the chat, by the way.

19. M.A.G. October 16, 2007 at 1:07 PM #

I'm with Steven! This has been a couple of lousy games for us and we need the spark Ellsbury can give us in the lead role. In the best case escenario we could wake up the lineup, and in the worst case escenario, well… will not make any difference. I know this is gonna sound bad, but I think the best way Coco can contribute to this team is by getting injured. He is THAT useless…
    I found confort in thinking this has to be the last year I have to see him in our center field.

20. iamsam October 16, 2007 at 2:52 PM #

these two teams are incredibly evenly matched right now…both teams have had clutch hits and times when they were firing on all cylinders…and both have had their letdowns…but there is no way any team is gonna come up big every single time (unless youre the Rockies of course)…its a matter of who can come up big just enough times in a series like this…even if the sox lose tonight they could still come back and win…I agree with Shawn…Im gonna believe until we lose 4 games

21. Greg C October 16, 2007 at 3:30 PM #

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
    Wakefield + Big Game = Red Sox Loss
    I hope to eat those words in a few hours.