7/22: Road Winning Streak?

Prev. Gm:

Boston Red Sox (58-43) @ Seattle Mariners (38-61)
Daisuke Matsuzaka (10-1, 2.65) @ R.A. Dickey (2-4, 3.73)

10:05 PM EDT | Safeco Field (Seattle, WA)
TV: NESN RADIO: WRKO 680, SBN 1150

GAME NOTES: Last night, Jon Lester took the mound and showed why he’s quickly forming into one of the top pitchers in the American League, outdueling Jarrod Washburn and getting contributions from the bottom of the order- Varitek, Crisp and Lowrie. Tonight, 10-1 Dice-K looks to clinch a road series win for the Red Sox. The pathetic Mariners or not, a road win series could go a long way to boost confidence. Former flamethrower turned knuckleballer R.A. Dickey opposes Matsuzaka. Win.

Categories: Daisuke Matsuzaka Game Threads R.A. Dickey Seattle Mariners

* Clement, c
    * LaHair, 1b
    * Betancourt, ss
    * Dickey, p
    keep the streak boys.

2. Sam July 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM #

Wait … the Sox get to face a knuckler tonight? could be interesting … Wakefield has long been one of the best knucklers around so I have a feeling the rest of the league would love to see Dickey go 7 scoreless

3. Sam July 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM #

In other news … Another "Manny being Manny" sighting … He got caught jaywalking yesterday … Which I find outrageous … I'm on the verge of demanding the Sox FO to trade him and his circus for a more professional ball player … just ridiculous

4. Colin July 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM #

Grrrrrrr…
    Seems the Twins want to fail at life again. Oh well perhaps the potential silver lining of the grey cloud called the Yanks winning would be them being fatigued come Friday.

5. Bob July 22, 2008 at 5:45 PM #

I hope you're being sarcastic.

6. Sam July 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM #

If you're reffering to my Manny comments … Sarcastic? Of course not … Didn't you detect that tone of sincere disgust in my voice? ;)
    Meanwhile … JD Drew is a beast

7. Bob July 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM #

Good to know Sam, sometimes it's hard for me to tell in print, in case you haven't noticed I'm not the brightest bulb here.

8. Sam July 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM #

Don't worry about it … Next time I make a ridiculous statement like that … I'll try to be a little bit more obvious with the sarcasm factor lol
    My apologies if my praise for JD had a detrimental jinx-like effect upon his last at bat … I would've far prefered he had saved his home run for the bases loaded situation … but hey … we'll take what we can get I guess
    A couple other notes … Dice-K looks strong thus far … Let's hope he can keep it up … and whoever said Jed Lowrie couldn't field his position?

9. Bob July 22, 2008 at 7:22 PM #

The question has always been his range and arm not glove. The arm has been consistent this year (better than Lugo) and the range has looked pretty good. If he makes the plays that he gets to I don't see him being a liability. Wouldn't it be ironic if the starting 2nd baseman was a college shortstop and the starting shortstop was a college 2nd baseman.

10. Sam July 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM #

I know the questions about him … he's as sure-handed as Lugo is not … maybe he doesn't get to the balls deep in the hole and make the highlight reel throws … but from what I've seen he'll field his position just fine

11. Bob July 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM #

I'm with you, and I'll add that whatever his perceived defensive deficiencies, he's got an excellent bat for the position.
    As I'm writing this Youkilis kills a great opportunity.

12. Sam July 22, 2008 at 9:01 PM #

Good solid W … another good outing for Dice-K to continue his strong season … Let's finish em off tommorrow