Manny to Dodgers?

Reports have very early talks between the Red Sox and Dodgers for Manny Ramirez. The Red Sox would most likely ask for Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier, two young, cost-controlled outfielders who also hit the ball well. The Dodgers do not want to add payroll, so it is possible that the Dodgers might ask the Red Sox to take back Andruw Jones, which would likely complicate any deal as they would be no room for both Kemp/Ethier and Jones.

Categories: Andre Ethier Andruw Jones Los Angeles Dodgers Manny Ramirez Matt Kemp Trading Manny Saga

21 Responses to “Manny to Dodgers?” Subscribe

1. Mostly Running. July 29, 2008 at 10:20 AM #

I would wet myself if they got Ethier for Manny. Cut Andruw if he's necessary for the deal to happen, but try to get a AA prospect out of it for the financial loss. My cursory look makes it seem there aren't any catching prospects down on the farm for LA. Anyone know for sure?

2. JaredK July 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM #

They just gave up one for Casey Blake, Carlos Santana
    The Indians raked the over, Meloan could be very good as well.

3. Mostly Running. July 29, 2008 at 10:46 AM #

Forgot about Santana. Why couldn't Manny have been Manny a little earlier?

4. JaredK July 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM #

Does not appear to be much else. I wouldn't mind Kemp and James McDonald or rolling the dice on Chris Withrow (good looking prospect out w/ an elbow injury) and offering 5-7 mil wothout taking Jones contract. I like Laroche, the dodgers don't seem to for what ever reason but we really have no place for him I guess.

5. Bob July 29, 2008 at 11:25 AM #

I would much rather have Kemp than Ethier. But as soon as I heard the name Andruw Jones I thought no thank you.

6. Sean O July 29, 2008 at 11:27 AM #

KEMP. See if Ned is dumb enough to do Manny/Kalish for LaRoche/Kemp. He is dumb as dirt.

7. Tessie's Dad July 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM #

I really don't want to see Manny traded at all. I've been very disappointed in him lately, for both on- and off-field actions, but I think the Sox would regret that move for all time. He needs to be whacked on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper, not traded.

8. Bob July 29, 2008 at 11:33 AM #

Manny/Kalish for LaRoche/Kemp is a good deal although LaRoche's stock has fallen. What about Manny and maybe Coco for Kemp, Jones, and Scott Elbert. then DFA Jones, call up Moss and possibly bring Elbert to the Majors as a reliever with a Brandon Morrow type future in mind (converting him to a starter down the road)

9. Bob July 29, 2008 at 11:35 AM #

Or why not wait till the offseason, pick up Manny's option and then trade him to the Dodgers for Kemp and Elbert at $20 mil Manny is affordable and the Dodgers play in the 2nd biggest market, they have money to spend.

10. SoxAddict July 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM #

The stupidity of these teams continues to astound me. Why offer Jones so much money if you can't afford it? Why offer Washburn and Bedard so much money if you're ready to trade them a few months later?
    It makes zero sense to sign these guys and then attempt to trade them as salary dumps during the same season. I can see doing it 5 years later but 5 months later?
    Ugh..

11. Daniel Rathman July 29, 2008 at 11:52 AM #

Is it a coincidence that there was a 5.4-magnitude earthquake in Los Angeles minutes after the report of Manny talks came out?

12. Evan Brunell July 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM #

Joel Sherman of the New York Post has the Dodgers in the lead for Manny. The Red Sox would eat most or all of the $7MM remaining on Ramirez's deal, and then receive a player like Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier. Such a deal would enable the Sox to enter the Mark Teixeira bidding.

13. Bob July 29, 2008 at 12:10 PM #

I haven't seen this rumor anywhere else, but if it's true then I will say that even though I would like to keep Manny, then a player like Kemp would be exactly what you'd want in return. Good fielder, excellent hitter, real competitor and young, he'd fit great in Boston. Ethier is good, but he doesn't have Kemp's upside. I would do this for Kemp and only Kemp.

14. Jc July 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM #

i don't understand these Texeira to boston deals, Youkilis is awful in the outfield.

15. Patrick July 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM #

i agree with bob. although i like manny and all, i would really like this idea if the player in return is kemp. he is a very good player with a nice upside, not to mention he has performed well in the majors to this point, too.
    i think he will be a very good one for a long time and then you have your right handed power hitter replacement to boot (for the future and now).

16. Patrick July 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM #

i agree with bob. while i like manny and all, getting back kemp would be huge!

17. Bob July 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM #

The idea is that Manny is already pretty bad in Left so Youk couldn't be much worse and he's a hard worker who's already learned one new position, what's to say he can't learn another?

18. Bob July 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM #

Also the Sox have a ton of range in Center and Right with Jacoby and Drew, Youk is sure handed and the CF would make up for deficient range. It's not like Left Field is a premium defensive position

19. Sean O July 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM #

If I'm the Sox, I say we take back Jones' terrible contract if we get two of their three big prospects. LaRoche simply isn't in Coletti or Torre's plans, and Kemp would be one heck of a return. If Jones continues to be horrible with the bat we use him as a late inning defensive replacement.
    How many people would feel bad about Ellsbury/Crisp/Andruw for innings 7-8-9?

20. cakey July 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM #

I'd rather have Beckett batting 9th than Andruw.

21. LongBallz July 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM #

As a Dodger fan I am more than happy to pick up Manny. Kemp is a good player no doubt about it, but he is a far cry from Manny. I believe Manny will excel in a new place.