Notes: Josh Beckett, Derek Lowe, Texas catchers

Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels confirmed the Red Sox approached the Rangers in July about two catchers. Expect the Red Sox to make overtures again.

Apparently not only was Derek Lowe interested in Boston, Boston was interested in Lowe.

Josh Beckett apparently "struggled" to put his shirt on prior to the game and would have needed another cortisone shot had the Red Sox advanced.

Rounding up Red Sox-centric rumors for the day…

• Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels would not rule out trading two catchers (likely Jarrod Saltamacchia and Gerald Laird) and confirmed the Red Sox approached the Rangers in July about these two catchers. Expect the Red Sox to make overtures again. They could also check into Miguel Montero in Arizona, and I think there could be a deal there as Montero is starting-caliber but stuck behind Chris Snyder and their general manager is former Sox assistant GM Josh Byrnes, a friend of Theo. They last hooked up in a three-way trade that sent Chris Carter to Boston Arizona and Wily Mo Pena to Washington. (How’s that for sexual innuendo?)
  • Apparently not only was Derek Lowe interested in Boston, Boston was interested in Lowe:
    As recently as seven weeks ago, a return to Boston for … Lowe seemed possible, perhaps even likely. (Boston Herald)

Now, however, the Herald believes that Lowe’s strong finish has priced himself out of the Red Sox’s range. Lowe could get a four year deal worth $15 million per year.

• Josh Beckett’s Game 6 start may go down as quite under appreciated. Beckett apparently “struggled” to put his shirt on prior to the game and would have needed another cortisone shot had the Red Sox advanced.

“The one thing I know, is if I could have gotten the last three innings of that game I can get through anything.”

Quite the gutsy performance by Beckett.

• Chris Smith, the 27-year old who saw some time with the Red Sox this season, cleared waivers and has opted to become a free agent.

Categories: Derek Lowe Gerald Laird Jarrod Saltalamacchia Josh Beckett Miguel Montero Texas Rangers

17 Responses to “Notes: Josh Beckett, Derek Lowe, Texas catchers” Subscribe

1. M.A.G October 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM #

Good to hear we are already talking with the Rangers. And I like the idea of Miguel Montero a lot. That kid looks promising, and the Diamondbacks don’t have where to put it.
    By the way, I would like to see Theo kicking the tires about Russell Martin. Maybe if we offer a Peavy-like package we could tempt them. And that guy worth the effort.

2. Bob October 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM #

Agree about Martin, with Penny and Lowe likely gone next year the Dodgers need pitching and Martin has seemed like a bit of a malcontent lately. The Red Sox could probably get him for less than what Peavy would take. I would offer Buchholz, Crisp and Kalish. That should be enough to get it done IMO.

3. Bob October 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM #

Oh and just say no to Lowe

4. Evan October 24, 2008 at 6:50 PM #

I would definitely do a Peavy-lite package for Martin. Bob, that’s a very reasonable trade, but I think they would be more interested in an infielder than Kalish.

5. M.A.G October 24, 2008 at 7:17 PM #

Trading for Martin will be a masterfull move. We are talking of a 25 year old catcher, with a gold glove, silver slugger, and known leader capabilities. He could be a franchise player for the next decade.
    So, let's beggin the trade for Martin campaign!

6. jvwalt October 24, 2008 at 7:26 PM #

It all depends on what management really things of its own catching prospects. Quality catching is such a rare commodity, that any trade for another organization’s prospect is likely to be one-sided. If management believes there’s a keeper in the system, they might very well opt for a short-term placeholder — a Brian Schneider type who can be had for a year or two at reasonable money.
    I have no idea what Schneider’s contract status is — I just mean a player of his ilk. Of course, if Varitek is willing to settle for a short contract, he’d be the top choice for short-term placeholder.

7. SamR October 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM #

Grabbing Martin would be the ultimate deal for us. Probably the only one where I would be okay with Buccholz shipping out. Buch still has the potential to be an ace but with his potentially injury-prone build and current mental issues. He's not enough of a sure thing to make him untouchable. In my opinion anyways. We'll see what Theo thinks. But if we can get Martin, possibly the best catcher in all of baseball, to fill our one major hole. Do it.

8. SamR October 24, 2008 at 7:46 PM #

Oh and by the way. If we do make a trade for Martin or even moreso Saltalamacchia. I would still be very much for signing Tek to a 2-3 year contract to fill a player/coach/mentor type role as Gerry presented in an earlier post. That would be the perfect arrangement in my mind. Allowing him to continue to be a veteran presence for our young pitchers and catchers and also making sure he is able to finish his career here in Boston where he belongs. Don't screw it up Boras.

9. Evan October 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM #

Dusty Brown, Mark Wagner and Luis Exposito may all pan out, but you can’t rely on ifs when you can get what you know.

10. Bob October 24, 2008 at 9:27 PM #

Alright if they want an infielder how about Buchholz, Crisp and pick two from Diaz/Middlebrooks/Tejeda

11. Bob October 25, 2008 at 8:49 AM #

I know that I've been the most pro-Peavy voice here, but the fact that Martin may be available changes all of that. So I am joining the trade for Martin campaign. The best thing about Martin is that the Dodgers already have James Loney, so they probably wouldn't demand Lars

12. Gerry October 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM #

Unless we are picking up CC, we keep Buchholz. A rotation of JB, DM, JL, Masterson and Buchholz could be invincible. Why give that away. If they demand Lars, it is straight up for Martin, as they are equivalent talents, but we would then need Texeira. Martin has been my favorite (until I saw Posey) since I saw him at Vero Beach, but he is having attitude problems which may not help this tight clubhouse.
    Let me again wave the flag for bringing kelly Shoppach back home. He is evolving quickly both behind the plate and as a 20-25HR, high OBP hitter. Tek could make him a genius.

13. Gerry October 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM #

Amazing. In two articles today I learn that Beckett could barely move his arm and that Lowrie had a sprain and fracture which accounted for his slide from wonderkind to average. Add this to Papi's wrist, Mike's hip, Beckett's shoulder, Drew's back, Wake's back, Aardsma's groin, Manny's hammies, Tek's divorce, Julio's whatever, Sean's neck, and I stand amazed that this team made it as for as it did. They deserve our praise and support.

14. M.A.G October 25, 2008 at 1:42 PM #

I think we are going to sign one of the big starters of the makett. I am a suporter of CC, but even if the Sox have doubts about his durability, they can go after Burnett or one of the others. Dont forgett we have money to spend.
    And Martin worth Buchholz and more. It's a no brainer for me. A young, five tool catcher is something extremely rare and can take our lineup to a new level. Don't get me wrong, I love Buchholz, but he is still a prospect and we cannot hope to get a player of Martin's caliber without paying the price.
    About Lars, Bob has made an excellent point: The Dodgers dont need him, because they have Loney. So we dont have to worry about our only real untradable. And by the way, Anderson is not the equivalent of Martin. As much as he can hit, Lars is a first baseman, and cannot be compared with a catcher who dominates his position defensively AND offensively. The guy can even steal bases for crying out loud!

15. M.A.G October 25, 2008 at 1:52 PM #

By the way, for what I have saw Martin's problems are with the Dodger's front office. Apparently they don't like the fact Martin has rejected a long term deal, and don't have very high expectations of keep him in the team.
    But, for all I have read, Martin is a great clubhouse guy, who always give 110% in every game. He is recognized as a leader, even when he has only 25 years old.

16. SamR October 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM #

I echo all of MAGs sentiments (besides CC). Martin is a must have if he's available. Losing Buchholz would suck but if he can get us Martin. I wouldn't hesitate. It's easier to find young potential aces than it is to find proven all-star catchers.

17. Sam K October 26, 2008 at 4:12 PM #

If Lowe priced himself out of our price range, he did us a favor. Then again, if Lowe priced himself out of our price range, we're certainly not going after Sabbathia (as some are speculating here) or Sheets, and probably not Burnett either.