8/6: The first game of "The Series."

John Smoltz and his good FIP take to Yankees Stadium, trying to finally put together a quality start. He will square up with Joba Chamberlain. The Red Sox need a split, but want even more...

Categories: Boston Red Sox Game Threads Joba Chamberlain John Smoltz New York Yankees

58 Responses to “8/6: The first game of "The Series."” Subscribe

1. rico petrocelli August 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM #

How pivotal? I think that all the pressure would be on the yanks here, except that smoltz has been woeful and joba has ruled lately.
    We win tonight we can even think sweep as crazy as that is. Joba's mom is in jail…..maybe it'll get to him.
    Smoltz steps up?
    Kotchman with clutch hit?
    Reddick with clutch pinch hit?
    Game on!!!!

2. Harry Truman August 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM #

When I'm 64:
    On August 6 and August 9, 1945, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were nuclear attacks near the end of World War II against the Empire of Japan by the United States at the executive order of U.S. President Harry S. Truman. The nuclear weapon "Little Boy" was dropped on the city of Hiroshima on Monday August 6, 1945,the first attack with nuclear weapons in the history of warfare.
    The bombs killed as many as 140,000 people in Hiroshima by the end of 1945, roughly half on the days of the bombings.

3. Bob August 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM #

Smoltz better live up to that FIP because it looks like the offense is going to let Joba off the hook tonight

4. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 3:46 PM #

Oh god this so so embarrassing, whose grampa wandered onto the field and started pitching for us? The media's gonna have a field day.

5. Bob August 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM #

I'm a huge Smotlz fan from his day here in Atlanta, but I'll admit I laughed pretty hard when I read that

6. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 3:49 PM #

I absolutely hate Jaba, and I think he is gonna try to hit someone like he always do. He always goes after the other team's best player.
    So, if he do his "thing" tonight, I hope to have Bard and his best 100mph fastball against Teixeira's head. Somebody needs to put this thug in his place. And we need to send the message we are gonna protect our players.

7. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM #

I don't like him either, but I could do without the bean ball wars. I just hope that the Sox can score some runs soon

8. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM #

DUSTIN! He's going on one of his tears watch out!

9. Tessie's Dad August 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM #

Stick that in your wind tunnel, Joba!

10. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM #

Pedroia!

11. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM #

I love V-Mart.
    And what a great at-bat by Youk.

12. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 4:11 PM #

And Ortiz screws us.

13. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 4:11 PM #

And here comes Papi, to do the exact oposite: A one pitch double play :S

14. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:17 PM #

dammit

15. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 4:17 PM #

How long do we think Theo has to bask in his own brilliance before we pull the horrendous John Smoltz Experience? When we hit 3rd place, or when Grampy explodes into dust?

16. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM #

here comes the Smoltz implosion

17. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:23 PM #

huh he actually recovered from that alright for once

18. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM #

KOOOOOOOOOOTCH

19. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM #

Still waiting to see some sign of life from the SS position…

20. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM #

is Lowrie hurt? or just getting benched for Green?

21. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM #

I hate Posada.

22. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:36 PM #

Dammit Smoltz try not to give it all away at once

23. Evan August 6, 2009 at 4:40 PM #

If Smoltz coughs it all up again, do we call the experiment a failure and move on to Bowden?

24. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM #

It would be strange to bench him in a middle of a game.
    And if he is hurt again, will be ridiculous. This kid appears to be permanently injured.

25. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM #

No, we do that 3 weeks ago when it's clear Smoltz cannot pitch in a real baseball league in 2009. Unfortunately, Theo disagrees and wants to be proven right.
    I know the feeling, really I do, but give it up.

26. Tessie's Dad August 6, 2009 at 4:44 PM #

Smoltz = done.

27. Bob August 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM #

wow, just wow, I actually thought we were going to win for a second there, FML

28. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM #

Thanks Tito, Theo, and every other clueless jackass in this organization who couldn't see this coming early last month.

29. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM #

Here come the Smoltz's collapse.
    Well, I think no one is really surprised. Time to move Smoltz to the bullpen.

30. Tessie's Dad August 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM #

Of course, he's only given up 5 ER in 3.0+ IP, so he's doing better than I expected tonight.

31. Evan August 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM #

If we're in an actual ballpark, is the score still 0-0? I think so.

32. Anonymous August 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM #

Do the sox FO a favor and kill yourself smoltz, would really make it easier for all of us.

33. Bob August 6, 2009 at 5:01 PM #

ugh it's going to be a miracle if they don't sweep us

34. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 5:03 PM #

FUCK THEO. Jesus CHRIST. Why are stool like Smoltz and Traber on this club? Didn't we have a guy who used to pitch long for us?

35. Bob August 6, 2009 at 8:17 PM #

dammit

36. M.A.G. August 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM #

37. Bob August 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM #

All that you need to know about this Yankee Stadium is that its 2009 and johnny damon has 20 HRS

38. Evan August 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM #

Smoltz really could do a good job in a Masterson-style role, I think. But will the team make the move?

39. Shane August 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM #

Well, I can’t say that I thought we’d win this game…

40. Bob August 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM #

Why the fuck did they call up Billy Goddamn Traber instead of anyone with a pulse. This year just feels too much like 2006.

41. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 9:09 PM #

It’s just ridiculous, we forfeit 40% of our games because of Penny and Smoltz, then another 20% involves Clay f’n Buchholz. There is no way in hell that Michael Bowden could be any worse than these 3 clowns, but we’re not even going to try him out for reasons that escape me. Meanwhile we burnt an option for Bowden for, what, a 3 game span earlier this year for nothing.
    I don’t get how a front office can act this way. Massive incompetence only goes to a certain point, eventually there’s malicious intent.

42. Tessie's Dad August 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM #

Heck, even if you spot us eight games, I’m not sure we’d win the season series.

43. Sean O August 6, 2009 at 9:18 PM #

I’m gonna go play Prototype and injure some people. I can absolutely assure you, the fact that it takes place in Manhattan is 100% a coincidence.

44. Shane August 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM #

Wow, that was a let down…

45. Shane August 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM #

I’m watching game day, why is Lowrie out?

46. Eric August 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM #

I've been biting my tongue for a while, and if anyone's got a problem, with me saying something go ahead and have at it. I'm calling out the guy who thinks that we should infuse the line-up with any and every latin player available through any means necessary. I am half mexican/english and obviously I'm a Papi fan, but I absolutely refuse to be that lame and transparent in my observations of what's truly wrong with the Sox. I'm not going to praise Victor Martinez when he goes 0-3 (but draws 3 BB's), and leaves 5 LOB. I thought Masterson wasn't getting the job done either, but my preference for who COULD get the job done didn't have any particular ethnic preference, and would have rather seen Halladay trot out there tonight over Smoltz. I realize that the Sox are becoming more and more "white" these days, but I truly believe its coincidence as they continue to build their farm system with more Latinos, Asians, etc. I want to see this team win, regardless of who gets the job done. Anyone who dares criticize what I'm saying better check whether or not they have the balls to call out certain people who obviously have a preference for the ethnic background of the players being given an opportunity to play.

47. SamR August 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM #

WHOA! You know you're so right. I never realized that MAG was so obviously biased. I definitely will not take anything he says seriously again. Due to your clear and intelligent argument, my eyes have finally been opened. Thanks man.

48. Evan August 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM #

bring in bard, drill a 100 mph fastball in the back (not the head, unlike yankee pitchers are fond of) and send the message

49. Mike August 6, 2009 at 11:30 PM #

It’s over.
    They want it, we don’t.
    Bring down the curtain, put your toys away, and get ready for Patriots football.
    The season is done.

50. M.A.G. August 7, 2009 at 12:02 AM #

Lesson to learn: two bad pitchers don’t make a good one. Penny and Smoltz are a disaster. And we have lost the oportunity to trade them when we had the chance.
    And Buchholz is about to lose his value too. Remember: we could have had V-Mart straight up for him.
    And, by the way, I always have liked Bowden more than Buchholz.

51. Colin August 7, 2009 at 12:51 AM #

Safe to say the Smoltz experiment has finally been considered a failure.

52. Eric August 7, 2009 at 1:22 AM #

wow now we didn’t trade the right guy for V-Mart? Lemme guess we shoulda got Martinez and Gonzalez? whatever “And if he is hurt again, will be ridiculous. ” seriously??? How long do your comments really get any creedence whatsoever? Lemme guess if it were Felix Hernandez having oppo-fly balls going out in the wind tunnel, it would be Yankee stadium that’s the problem. You’re the John Calipari for any Latin players making their way onto the Sox roster, Rah Rah Rah, let’s get Gonzales, Martinez, Hernandez, that’ll solve our problems. Its so transparent its sad. Lemme guess we should fire Theo and retain the services of Omar Minaya?

53. M.A.G. August 7, 2009 at 8:09 AM #

LOL
    Are you joking, man? Seriously?
    V-Mart is a middle of the order bat who can catch, and catcher is a position of need in this team, so I think he is a very good addition.
    I liked Buchholz in the beggining, but after his performance last year I have being losing hope on him. So, even if I like the trade of Masterson/Hagadone/Price I would have preffered to trade Buchholz straight up, and take my chances with Hagadone. I fail to see how this has anything to do with race.
    I was not to excited about Adrian Gonzalez at first (and I was against the signing of Teixeira), because Lars was my favorite prospect. But after his sub-par season I have reconsidered my position. Gonzalez is only 27 years old, and he is arguably one of the three best first basemen in baseball. So, what's not to like about him? I think eveybody here would love to have him playing in Fenway. The only issue was his price.
    I love Felix Hernandez. And who don't? He is only 23 years old (10 years younger than Halladay!) and he is already an Ace. I hope to see him in Boston in the near future.
    And just for the record, I was delighted when we traded Manny. I was sick of that guy, and I have being a fan of Bay from the start. I have being one of the main detractors of Papi. Because, even if he has rebounded somewhat from his horrible start, I think the guy is in the decline and I want to replace him as soon as possible. That's why I was in the campaign to sign Adam Dunn in the offseason. And I wanted to trade Buccholz for Saltalamacchia, and acquire JJ Hardy as well.
    I don't care at all if our team is 100% "white". And I think the attacks of Boston for being "racist" is pure bullshit. I have absolutely no prefference for latin players or any other race or nationality. I just want the best players available.

54. M.A.G. August 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM #

Just one more thing:
    My favorite player in baseball: Joe Mauer.
    My favorite Red Sox players: Beckett and Pedroia.

55. Eric August 7, 2009 at 8:49 AM #

I'm embarrassed. I'm sitting here reading what I posted last night, and…. yea I'd like apoligize. I remember being pretty steamed about seeing the Sox (and Smoltz) getting pounded in the Bronx and having to hear it from all the Yanks fans on the way home last night (I live in Upstate NY). I can't say I recall ever being that annoyed or pissed off about M.A.G. Sadly I think I allowed alcohol and raw feelings about the game to be vented inappropriately. If I could take a mulligan I would.

56. Eric August 7, 2009 at 8:51 AM #

I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. I was wrong.

57. Sean O August 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM #

It’s bad enough we lost to the Yankees, do you have to remind me the Patriots are coming back?

58. M.A.G. August 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM #

Apology accepted. No hard feelings on my part.
    Now, let's talk about BASEBALL.