8/15: Penny tries to give us a quality start.

Since Brad Penny's best this season seems to be six innings, three earned. Then that is what I expect from him. I just hope that he doesn't fare worse. It is a critical game, in terms of the Wild Card, so let's get a W!

Since Brad Penny’s best this season seems to be six innings, three earned. Then that is what I expect from him. I just hope that he doesn’t fare worse. It is a critical game, in terms of the Wild Card, so let’s get a W!

Categories: Boston Red Sox Brad Penny Game Threads Texas Rangers

10 Responses to “8/15: Penny tries to give us a quality start.” Subscribe

1. Joe Veno August 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM #

The bottom three of this lineup is pretty terrible tonight.

2. Tessie's Dad August 15, 2009 at 4:00 PM #

You mean the bottom four, right?

3. Joe Veno August 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM #

:) At least I can hope that the sixth hitter may have a good game.

4. Joe Veno August 15, 2009 at 4:38 PM #

That was fun. Only one more to go until we get back to the top of the lineup.

5. B August 16, 2009 at 12:07 AM #

Why wasn't J.D. Drew in this lineup? He just had a day off Thursday. After all, as Joe said, this was a critical game.

6. Mostly Running. August 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM #

Yahoo is reporting that Drew might play again on Wednesday after taking a breath to rest his groin.
    That's cool, injuries are injuries and all, there is an off-day and Tuesday is against a lefty, but come on. Sit if you're injured, you do no one any good "gutting it out" but I'm getting tired of people saying Drew is reliable in the line up. That he has no real injuries.
    He's a very good player who happens to go through really disgusting slumps and when the plane is about to crash pulls up, drops some OBP and then gets physically nagged by actually being on base and playing good defense.
    Theo should have purchased 500 robotic vacuum cleaners from a Japanese company to patrol right field, making sure Fenway was groomed properly. The inroads gained would make the Dice-K signing a far away and never thought of afterthought, and all the drunks watching the Citgo sign from the bleachers would have their minds blown. Wily Mo could move to the bullpen where he belonged, attempting to catch flyballs but having them bounce off of his glove _into_ the field of play.
    But I do like Drew. He seems like a nice fella.

7. B August 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM #

Thanks to Michael Silverman of the Herald for answering my question with a quote from the ultimate gamer himself:
    BH – Despite running particularly hard and fast Friday, Drew almost came out of the game.
    “He said to me in the eighth, ‘I don’t think I can finish this game,’ ” Francona said. “And I said, ‘Look at this scorecard, you have to.’ We already put a pitcher in to run. That’s all we had to do, was put one in right and look like a circus. I’m trying to take care of him the next couple of days.”
    This was an inning before he managed to hit a 2 run insuranace shot in the 9th of Friday's game. Thanks for hanging in there for the good of the team Nancy Drew.

8. Bob August 16, 2009 at 6:52 AM #

What I don't get is sending down Reddick and calling up Anderson when the starting right fielder is hurt. They said they were concerned that he wasn't getting enough playing time, wouldn't sitting drew while he's hurt and playing Reddick instead get him said time??? instead we have to watch Brian Freaking Anderson who we know won't hit at all when we could at least get to see more of a top prospect with some potential to hit. Am I missing something here? Or is Theo completely losing his mind.

9. marcos August 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM #

No coincidence that Reddick was kept in Boston until now. If he's called up before 9/2, he won't burn an option this year

10. Brian August 16, 2009 at 9:39 AM #

I've taken to calling him 'Bad Penny', as in 'he just won't go away…