(More) Francona, The Baltimore Orioles and the Red Sox Offseason

Today, one of our readers ‘Don’ was kind enough to give us a nudge on some Francona material that is circulating throughout the baseball world, but had yet to be addressed here on Fire Brand. Certainly, we would like to be a full-time, crack staff who is providing feedback, analysis and keeping you on top of every detail, but unfortunately that is hard to do. We are journalists and bloggers who love the Red Sox and do this out of passion, not for compensation. (Though I will say any executives who may be interested in pilfering our talented staff for employment is welcome to do so.)

All of that being said, ‘Don’ is right. We need to weigh in on some of this Francona action so I am going to break it out with my opinions on each particular quote Chip Buck-style. Please note that these are solely my semi-erratic, passionate responses and someone like Charlie, Alex or Troy might think I am completely wrong, but so be it.

Dustin Pedroia on Francona’s exit (from the NESN website):

“We get paid a lot of money and the biggest thing that I am upset with, and I think a lot of guys are upset with, is the accountability of each other. It’s not the manager’s fault. We need to hold ourselves more accountable as a team, as players. There are a lot of things that went on that was disrespectful and we played like it.”

This is what I want to hear. No bull from Pedroia. This team didn’t do what we all thought it would do — make the postseason. They should be embarrassed and now that we are hearing about a fractured clubhouse, personal agendas and lack of loyalty it should come as no surprise to anyone that they fumbled and fell on their faces. I don’t agree that it’s ‘not the manager’s fault’. I am a manager in my line of work.  Granted, it’s not professional sports, but I manage 25 employees and if they fail, I fail. Terry Francona is on the hook just as much as Pedroia is. What I want to hear from any leader is accountability. No excuses. Pedroia is a gamer and it will be interesting to see how he adjusts to not having Tito around next year. But he gave us accountability here unlike our next player….

Adrian Gonzalez speaks of the team’s travails (as reported by the Globe’s Peter Abraham):

“We play too many night games on getaway days and get into places at 4 in the morning. “This has been my toughest season physically because of that. We play a lot of night games on Sunday for television and that those things take a lot out of you.” Abraham responded to Gonzalez that teams like the Red Sox and Yankees have long had those challenges, it’s part of playing for a high-profile team. “Why does it have to be?” Gonzo said. “They can put the Padres on ESPN, too. The schedule really hurt us. Nobody is really reporting that.”

This sickens me. He’s also said this was God’s will. Don’t start bringing God into this Adrian. There is no higher power sitting around pulling strings of failure on your first season in Boston. Just shut up and say it was your fault. In fact, grow up or go back to San Diego where baseball is an afterthought. Here in Boston it is everything and everything to us means you better not blame it on anyone but yourself. Lie if you have to but don’t start blaming the schedule. I hate to agree with the ubiquitous pot-stirrers like Mike Felger and Tony Mazz but you leave us no choice when you fail slowly in front of the world and blame in on Sunday Night Baseball.

Grow up. And for the record, no one wants to see the San Diego Padres on Sunday Night Baseball.

Drinking Beer

The Boston Herald reported one divisive issue, citing sources as saying that pitchers were allowed to drink beer in the clubhouse on their off-days. A Red Sox source not only confirmed to ESPNBoston.com that was the case, but also said that it “has been going on for two years.”

I really don’t care about this to be quite honest. As long as no one is rolling joints or doing lines of cocaine, I could care less if beers are being consumed in the clubhouse. Hardly the first time it’s been done, but I do have a problem with it if it’s a key reason why Josh Beckett gained 18 pounds during the year. That is just belligerent irresponsibility if the speculation proves to be true. Where is the leader on this team? Who is the leader in the rotation? Certainly not Beckett or John Lackey. Dice-K is toast, Buchholz is still a kid in some respects and Jon Lester does not strike me as a guy who can fill that role. Drink all the beer you want but one of those pitchers needs to step up with some accountability.

Terry Francona from his press conference on Friday evening, talking about the attitude of some his players in 2011:

“I think it’s more expending your energy on things you can’t control. Whether it’s a sense of entitlement, I don’t know if that’s the right word or not. (I) just wanted our guys to all go in one direction.”

Where did this entitlement come from though? I can’t imagine it came from the two imports in Gonzo and Carl Crawford. No one could show up from small market teams and think they are King Shit. That means it came from and comes from some old stalwarts. I’m not getting into more speculation because frankly it’s poison, but I want to know whom.

Tim Wakefield on his personal goals (told to Fox Sports on Tuesday):

“I’ve definitely made up my mind that I definitely want to come back next year. have another goal in front of me that I’d like to accomplish, and that’s the all-time record for the Red Sox in wins. I’m only seven away. “I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record.”

Here at Fire Brand, I think I may be in the minority, but I cannot stand Tim Wakefield and I want him to go away — yesterday. I know Scott, Evan, Chip and others are much more neutral or supportive of Wake but this guy is a self-serving jerk who thinks his longevity throwing a gimmick pitch allows him to do whatever he wants. He complained he wasn’t in the rotation at the beginning of 2010. Really? Really, Tim? (Channeling Chip here…) Who exactly did you deserve to be in the rotation over? No I don’t think you are comptetive. I think you are a selfish old pitcher who desperately wants to be #1 in wins. WHO CARES? Wins are arbitartry and I’m not intetested in seeing you get lit up for 18 starts so that you might sneak out a handful more wins and claim that spot. Does it make you better than Cy Young or Roger Clemens? No. It doesn’t mean anything. Go away.

Also, nice timing on your comments. Because we are all concerned with your personal goal right now. We just witnessed this mega-squad crap the bed while Tampa Bay runs right past us laughing and you sit here saying ‘Me, me, me.”

Dear Larry Lucchino, axe this guy and tell Tom Werner this isn’t the Cosby Show. I want Fenway Park back.

Finally, I want to address one of our drive-by sniper readers who comes to us by way of Baltimore. Here is his exact comment — unedited:

Greetings from BALTIMORE, to all you sox fans. You Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To let a crappy team like our O’s pull your heart right out of your chest the way did the last couple weeks is pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pedroia is a little faggot and so is Elsbury and Crawford LOL LOL!!!! ( I dont care about the spelling) You can take your 161 mil salary and shove it so far up your ass it comes out of your ear. You deserve every last bit of pain for this one. God you suck – How could you possibly fall apart like that???? Huh?? Please tell me???? Hey Francona why dont you come to Baltimore we have some lover for you – We wont treat you like THEY do!!

First of all, you are nobody. Homophobic slurs or not, you are nobody. Your team sucks so enjoy your mini-World Series because that is as close as you will come to any real success. The organization you root for is a 100-loss team and will continue to be so. You might be laughing today, but we laugh at you everyday. We invade your stadium and take over your park. You lose constantly and cannot compete. Your ownership is bad and you cannot compete in this division. You guys were all huffy and puffy when you signed some names of yesteryear. You all thought down there in Baltimore that you were in the thick of it his year, didn’t you? OOOPS! In February, I told you guys you wouldn’t win 65 games this year and your whole city flipped out! Haha. If it wasn’t for your Orioles matching up with the collapsing star that was the 2011 Red Sox, I would have been DEAD-ON!

So enjoy your moment in the sun Baltimore because next year we will be back and guess what? You won’t. Your Orioles are inept and your biggest hope is to play spoiler. That’s it. You might feel good today but just remember that Red Sox fans get to enjoy competitive teams year in and out. Some years we get a championship, other years we get bounced — but every year are back near the top. Every year you are sniffing our asses. How does it taste? High-five each other. Drink some beers, point and laugh. Your Dad’s Orioles sucked. Your Orioles suck and your kids’ Orioles will suck. Over the course of that time we will be competing for championships up here while you just shake an angry fist at our payroll. Laugh now, cry all year.

That’s it for my ranting. Take it for what it’s worth. I’m passionately rational. I don’t like to cause trouble within my fanbase, but I will gladly kick dirt on every other team especially when you come by poppin’ off at the mouth. The Red Sox might have failed in 2011 and we have to live that but unless you are a Yankees fan, you can’t say much because you know your place is still behind Boston.

If Tampa Bay wins a title then they can start playing in this king of the mountain game, but for now it’s the Yankees at the top of the mountain. If they want to brag or boast all you can do is try to fight back, but they always have the trump cards and you must respect that. Orioles fans…c’mon.

Go buy a Robert Andino jersey and tell your kids someday about how despite not winning more than 70 games year after year — there was that one time that they helped keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs.

Categories: Baltimore Orioles Robert Andino Tampa Bay Rays Terry Francona

62 Responses to “(More) Francona, The Baltimore Orioles and the Red Sox Offseason” Subscribe

1. ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM #

I have to admit, that I really enjoy being known for having "a style."

2. southsideron October 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM #

Time to reflect on what really caused the September melt down ;a complete pitching staff meltdown, and fix this problem for the 2012
    season

• LarryAtIIATMS October 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM #

Ron, I hardly know how to respond to you. Do you not read the Globe, listen to WEEI? If you did, you'd understand that the way you fix a pitching problem is (1) Diet Coke instead of Rolling Rock in the clubhouse fridge, and (2) the 25 man roster all holds hands before each game, sings "Kumbaya" and says "I love you man". This adds 3 MPH to your fastball and causes it to break late.

I can't blame you for your attitude. Before I started listening to WEEI, I figured that the only difference between a sense of "swagger" and one of "entitlement" was whether your team was winning or losing.

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM #

Come on Larry. You know as well as I do that "belly fire" always trumps talent!

• LarryAtIIATMS October 2, 2011 at 1:10 AM #

I thought that fire in the belly was a bad thing, that it meant Josh Beckett had put too much salsa in his guacamole. Good thing there's beer in the clubhouse!

3. TBird October 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM #

This was syndicated on my google news feed so I checked it out. Being from Baltimore and an avid O's fan I can say that the tool who wrote that trying to represent Baltimore should be shot in the face. Onto your comments…. Yea maybe the O's will forever be a 90+ loss team. Our starting pitching this year was atrocious and if it doesn't improve next year then it will set us back at least another five before we can even think about contending. This all doesn't change the fact that the Rays, Jays, and O's are all dealt the most difficult hand in all of professional sports. The Rays have proven that it can be done with quality starting pitching and this is the route the O's have tried to take yet failed so miserably with. Yes your Red Sox will always be on top as long as they continue to spend the money. That won't ever stop O's fans like myself from cheering on our team in the closest we have ever gotten to a playoff atmosphere in 15 years.

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM #

Well put TBird. I would just like to point out that the Red Sox are only partially successful because they spend money. The rest of their success comes from player development and smart business tactics. The Orioles are asleep at the wheel, and are a complete mess of a franchise. I don't say this to be mean. I'm trying to be realistic. As a DC area resident, I have the opportunity to hear a lot about the Orioles. Angelos completely effed up the new GM search. He allowed MacPhail to wait until now to make his decision about the future. He should have demanded an answer back in early August, and started the search for new leadership then.

All that said, I like your attitude about the Orioles. It's nice to see someone cheer for their team out of love and not their place in the standings. Very respectable.

4. Alan October 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM #

I would be interested in hearing more about the team chemistry problems. I would guess that having Gonzalez and Crawford come in with huge salaries caused resentment from the other players, and especially in the case of Crawford, since he was not producing. But if that is the case, the Red Sox kept is well hidden during the season.

5. 87marine October 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM #

"In fact, grow up or go back to San Diego where baseball is an afterthought." What a crock! You are totally out in left field! In San Diego we enjoy our baseball; we don't obsess on it. And, we don't overpay a bunch of pampered jocks who can't play the game anyway. You'll never be the Yankees so stop trying. (Although I dislike them even more than the toxic BOSOX.) Enjoy the game; if you win the pennant, good for you. If not, go on with your life—if you have one!

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM #

I don't agree with the manner in which Darryl stated this piece, but I understand what he's trying to say. He was just a little harsh perhaps with regards to the city of San Diego and their fans. I think what he was trying to tell A-Gon is that placing blame on prime time appearances is ridiculous. Rather than claim it was all part of God's plan, take accountability and own up to your lack of performance.

6. Chris October 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM #

Big talk from a guy whose team didn't manage to win the World Series for a span of, what was it now? 86 years?

Are the Red Sox good now? Sure. Will they always be good? Nope.

Are the Os good now? Nope. Can't argue with that. Will they be good again? Yep.

And knowing that, we'll celebrate the small victories, particularly ones like our last place team knocking your collection of pompous asshats out of the post season.

p.s. My dad's Orioles didn't suck. They won the ALCS 4 times in the 70s, and won the World Series in 66, 70 and 83, while your guys were still busy pissing and moaning about the Curse of the Babe. Maybe if your head wasn't so far up the collective asses of the Red Sox, you'd have time to learn the history of a few other teams before mouthing off.

• 87marine October 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM #

Right on, Chris! The Orioles have a distinguished past. It wasn't until the last 5-6 years have the Red Sox become haughty thinking they should be in the playoffs, even win World Series, every year. That's why I love seeing them and the Yanks fail repeatedly after screwing up baseball with their outrageous salaries. "MOney can't buy you love!"

• Alan October 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM #

Hi 87marine, I'm a Red Sox fan, and I agree with you. I'm an athlete myself and firm believer in good sportsmanship. It is disappointing to see so many Red Sox fans who know nothing about being good sportsmen and showing class whether they win or lose. I would have hoped that our team and fans were better than that, but something very ugly has come out here at the end of September. The Red Sox fans unfortunately need to take care of their own issues and not criticize others.

• 87marine October 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM #

Thanks. What's happened to sports and sportsmanship. It's not pleasant to lose especially when you've counted so much on winning, but it's not the end of the world, certainly not worth getting uncivilized over. As they say in Chicago–every year–"Wait til next year!"

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM #

@87marine – As a hardcore Red Sox fan and a writer here at Fire Brand, I feel very much the same way. The fan base and sports media has become entitled, and it's sad. I will argue against your assertion that the Yankees and Red Sox have destroyed baseball with their outrageous salaries. First of all, the Phillies are #2 in salary, and the Mets and Dodgers would likely be just as bad if they weren't in financial ruin (due to non-baseball issues). Secondly, seven of the top nine teams in payroll missed the playoffs. It's not the amount of money you spend, it's how you spend it.

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM #

I'm not going to defend Darryl's statements, those are his to defend. I will say that the past is the past. The Red Sox failure to win a championship for 86 years has absolutely no bearing on what's happening in the game now. If that's the best argument you have, then I'll just assume you don't have an argument at all.

7. 87marine October 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM #

Geez, you radical Boston fans think it's bad now, wait till your Pats fall on their faces!

8. Kevin R October 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM #

Wow, Fire Brand sure has changed. When did the CHB start writing here? I miss Evan.

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM #

@Kevin – As I'm sure you can understand tempers and emotions are a little hot right now. Darryl has every right to be upset, and I support him expressing his opinions. I hope that you will also check our other articles in addition to this one. If I could make a suggestion, Charlie and Alex both wrote tremendous articles this week about the end of the season.

9. OsfaninNE October 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM #

This writer is a joke…..you hear that moron…..A JOKE……..Suck on my white Polish sausage……this crap from a fan of a team that SUCKED from 1918-2004….go let Mr. Henry butt f you until it bleeds…..You may not be from MA but you sure are a Masshole!!!!! I hope you get hit by the T going to a Red Sucks game….BTW I've been to Camden Yards lots over the years and I have yet to have the see the O's lose to your Red Sucks…….

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:40 PM #

I understand why you might disagree with Darryl's premise. Still, if you're going to do so, the best way of making your point is not to attack the writer, even if you feel he's attacked you. Instead of calling him a "moron," "a joke," and telling him to "suck on my white polish sausage;" you might want to create an actual argument. Furthermore, bringing up 1918-2004 is completely irrelevant at this point. Hell, even the 2004 and 2007 championships are irrelevant. The past is the past. Let's live in the hear and now, and discuss today.

• darryljohnston October 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM #

I did laugh at the sausage threat though.

10. Don October 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM #

Hey, Darryl …

First off, thanks for the explanation from both you and from Chip on why you guys were unable to address these issues sooner. I get that your website is a labor of love, not your main source of income, and that you guys cannot always react to the news ASAP.

Secondly, thanks for addressing the quotes from Sox players and Francona that I had posted. I agree with your take 100 percent … and whole-heartedly agree that homophobic slurs about players (or personal attacks on writers of this site) have no place in this forum. We're free to disagree with the content on this site without bashing someone personally.

Keep up the good work guys!

11. Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM #

Are you serious……god you people need help in Boston ever since you won the World Series you've become fat bloated spoiled kids and a good deal of your team with you…..you used to be someone easy to root for in 04 when you came back from all the negativity, you grew your hair out to piss off the yankees…It was fun to watch but now all you do is complain and moan ovver everything like your entitled to a world series every year. Ortiz runs his mouth at every pitcher that doesn't hand him a home run…..I swear I have to do a double take and make sure its not still Manny standing there with his bad attitude…..UGH grow up sorry the Orioles didn't hand you the World Series, Stanley Cup, Lombardi trophy that you "DESERVE" every year. How do you look down and spit in the orioles face…. no one was laughing at you or putting you down when the ball went through buckners legs or any of that and we were winning world series grow up man seriously that is the most pathetic thing i've ever heard to

12. Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM #

actually brag about your payroll that is pathetic so your proud of the fact that you go out and buy any player you see playing well while we have to desperately hope every draft pick we make will work out because we have no other chance to suceed …its people like you that made andino so happy for what he did to you that made me immedietly call my Tampa Bay friend and tell him he's welcome I hope the Jets knock the patriots out again and every year the Rays knock the Sox out you people in Boston need another curse to ween that spoiledness out of you

13. darryljohnston October 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM #

Few points here for the Orioles fans who have found their way over.

1. No one I know thinks we 'deserve anything'. I certainly don't.
    2. The world in Boston is a lot different than any other time in history. This city expects to win. You guys hope to win because you don't win and somehow you are more modest and humble because of it.
    3. Don't get mad at me because the four teams I follow have won championships or multiple championships since the turn of the century.
    4. I never bragged about the payroll. Feel free to find a quote from me where I bragged about payroll.
    5. I will not do anything with polish sausage, John Henry or anyone else.
    6. Thanks for commenting.

• Zachary October 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM #

You can suddenly be all polite and reasonable, but your classlessness shows through.

"You might be laughing today, but we laugh at you everyday. We invade your stadium and take over your park."

This is why we're all so happy. Karma's a bitch. Red Sox fans, particularly those who come to Baltimore in hordes, are among the most whiny, entitled fans of any sport anywhere. Yes, most of them think they "deserve" a pennant—solely because they spend a lot of money every year.

"So enjoy your moment in the sun Baltimore because next year we will be back and guess what? You won’t. …. every year are back near the top. Every year you are sniffing our asses."

Meh. I've been following baseball for a long time, and I've seen the Orioles have a decent amount of success over that period. When I was growing up, the Sox were most famous for choking the way they did this year. You've been on a nice run for a decade—good for you. I'm happy for you guys that you FINALLY won another series. But I can't stand to watch your team anymore, and I detest being around your fans. And if you think the tables won't turn again, you're naive. Eventually, the payroll disparities in baseball will be regulated. And when that happens, you'll have to try to find a way to win through hustle and heart, and not just cherrypicking the Lackeys and Gonzalezes and Crawfords every season.

• BRipkenFckFace October 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM #

The Red Sox and their fan base have devolved into everything they hated about the Yankees. The whining and implosion by this blogger brings a huge smile to my face. He knows, deep down inside, that the Sox are nothing but a bought team with pink hats and obnoxious bandwagon fans who start chants at visiting ballparks. After hating the Yankees for nearly a century, and whining about it for just as long, the Sox and their fan base sold their souls to be exactly like them. Orioles fans hate Boston the way you guys(used to) hate the Yankees. And your response? Arrogance and "you sucks" like the fans from the Bronx dished out at you for years. Stay classy, Boston. Worst sports town in America, bar none.

14. Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM #

" Over the course of that time we will be competing for championships up here while you just shake an angry fist at our payroll. Laugh now, cry all year."……..UM sounds like bragging to me man

15. Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 3:48 PM #

Your firing a guy who brought you two championships and broke your curse….THAT is a spoiled brat….you realize unless francona's replacement wins three world series you just went laterally with that change…honestly in just a constructive crticism sort of way Boston needs to bring Francona in and find which player is not hungry anymore who's messing up the chemistry….that's the blessing of the payroll you can use that freedom and wiggleroom to say hey hit the road jack ill bring in so and so whos been playing for a losing team and wants to win and get paid…..not get rid ofa guy who was just doing what he could to control those egos in that clubhouse…..I realize the blogger has no control of that obviously just thinking out loud on the Francona situation

• TroyPatterson October 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

you referred to the curse as a real thing? That is awesome.

The flaw with the rest of your premise is what if the problem is someone like Carl Crawford? No team can make that contract "hit the road"

• Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM #

Understood that some contracts can leave you in a bind I'm just saying that it's not a good decision to side with the spoiled players (not that the whole team is that way Pedroia obviously showed he's made of the right stuff this team needs) instead of with your manager….take the contracts that you have to put up with and do it but the guys that aren't so safe need to be let know that this ain't a buffet you need to work for your millions NO ONE IS SAFE its how you keep a team hungry…Belicheck didn't let Moss sit around when it was abvious he didn't wanna try anymore despite his talent…take the long offseason put it to your advantage and get your team hungry again…OR whine fire your manager and watch another 86 years unfold up to you really

• TroyPatterson October 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM #

I wish it was so easy, but remember football contracts do not equal baseball contracts.

• Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM #

Fair Enough there's obviously no "easy" answer …if it was just so easy as remove x insert y anyone could do it BUT I maintain that the general direction the front office is going with the situation is the incorrect one. My brother and father are BOSOX fans we talk in depth on particular players and situations so I have a slightly more than a general O's fans view of the team and there is definitely a problem with some of these players.

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:35 PM #

Jenna – With all due respect, curses do not exist. CHB created it to make money and bring his own crappy writing to prominence. While I don't support Tito's ouster, I can't say whether or not bringing in someone new will help. I can say that's not the end of the world, as sad as it may be from an emotional standpoint. It is very possible he lost control of the team. That happens. Team manager is not a permanent position.

16. Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 3:51 PM #

BTW I want to point out the orioles fan you have quoted in the article is a complete moron I understand the anger Baltimore has towards Boston but he sounds like an angry seven year old and is a discredit to our fanbase

17. Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

I mean the guy s main point is my team is so bad how could you lose to them ughh come on man please just cancel your internet…and stay away you don't help our case

18. Guest October 1, 2011 at 5:04 PM #

This is a drive-by from Toronto.

You won't be back next year. There are too many problems in your organization to be fixed in one off-season and too many expensive and unmoveable ex-superstars. The entitlement comes from veteran Soxers as you know and have noted and they won't change their ways anytime soon. Papelbon doesn't sound like he wants to be back and Bard's arm isn't strong enough to be a regular closer. Your GM spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and he could have flushed it down the crapper for all the good it did.

That little diatribe against the Oriole fan? Your players aren't the only arrogant entitled guys around the team. You and the other fans have combined to put a little edge on how we other fans feel about you. Probably, if the Orioles had been playing another team, they would have rolled over and died. They were down a run and they were going to finish fifth so who cares. But they were playing the Sox, so they did care. They wanted to stick it to all those loud obnoxious fans who were sitting in Camden Yards like a smelly rash. They wanted to give their own fans something to cheer. And they did, didn't they? So congrats on the attitude. Look where it's got you. The greatest team in major league history!

You're the punchline to a joke that's got every other fan-base on the continent laughing their heads off.

• Jennah-Brandon Turner October 1, 2011 at 5:26 PM #

Exactly and thats the point….REDSOX fans your losing what made you awesome the underdogs to the yankees who were "cursed" and rebels and all this and that but your behavior your spending instead of growing the whining the pompous attitudes you've become the Yankees for the rest of us….I don't care what happens as long as a Toronto Tampa or Baltimore team wins out…..you used to be on that list against the yankees……probably you don't care most of the time it won't effect you BUT this time it did….this time you saw your schedule saw your were playing a team that hated your guts and was going to battle like crazy to just shut you down for no other reason but spite. Not saying that you care BUT you should understand WHY it happened…trust me it ain't jealousy….its anger….I HATE the patriots and Tom Brady and Belicheck….why, jealousy their really good….I hate the Redsox…..why anger…anger over the way they conduct themselves …just something to keep in mind next time you assume we all hate you because of "jealousy"

• darryljohnston October 1, 2011 at 5:54 PM #

Weak Toronto drive-by. That was about 10% as interesting as what Baltimore has to say.

• Guest October 1, 2011 at 6:42 PM #

Hi from 'weak' Toronto. We know our place. We're a small market team like the O's who just cleaned your clock and the Rays who just took your post-season place. And we think you are a vulnerable team. You talk about competing for championships but you didn't smell the play-offs last year, or this year. And good luck next year. I used to like you guys. You stuck it to the Yankees! But now you've become worse than the Yankees. Even bigger, even more entitled. Ultimately the Yankees (who I cannot stand) spent the money wisely and your front office just spent the money. The Rays spent nothing at all. They were hungrier and more talented than your lot.

What you don't get is that we're not celebrating because a big-spender lost. We're celebrating because a big overblown zeppelin of a club that its own media dubbed 'the greatest mlb team ever' before they ever played a game lost. We're celebrating because of all the disrespect you showed to other teams, all the prancing and posturing on the field, all the crap your fans gave us as they crowed because their team was a winner and we were all losers and they weren't going to let us forget it.

Well you lost. So I guess that puts you on a level playing field with as and Baltimore, huh? Because Tampa won and I hope they go all the way.

• darryljohnston October 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM #

I don't think your city is weak. I think your response was. Too sensitive about your place Guest. Go enjoy the Rays.

19. darryljohnston October 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM #

I read all this crap from you guys and I just hear blah blah blah. I really wish I was on your list of fans you approve of but I don't care. I want to beat the Yankees. They are the lead dogs and probably always will be. The Sox spend to keep pace with NYY. Tampa has geniuses down there so you have to respect that but Baltimore?

Oh and this moron that I quoted isn't a unique fan from your city. I've heard it plenty before so I'm just reminding you all with your puffed out chests where you really stand. Kick if you want or don't.

Again, I like how this lady over here puts word in my mouth and quotes things like "jealousy" which I never said. I don't think you are jealous I think you are angry that your team sucks and the only thing you can hold on to is winning a small edge here or there.

I also wasn't bragging about payroll. Read the paragraph again. You all just complain that the Red Sox spend too much money and we act like the Yankees and all that crap. That's not my problem. Your team sucks, has sucked and will suck. That's what I said.

Then I said while you suck, the Red Sox will continue to compete for championships while all you will do is suck and yell about payroll. Laugh now but I read your papers and blogs. Your fanbase is miserable and your only joy is to see the Sox or Yankees lose. Nice time. I'm not bragging about money. It's not even my money.

20. darryljohnston October 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM #

I'm not responding to this anymore because it's boring at this point. Congratulations for beating the Red Sox. I know the Orioles thing overshadows the first 75% of this article so have at it in here.

Also, feel free to yell back @DarrylJohnston on Twitter.

• Orioleball October 3, 2011 at 9:07 AM #

And you, Darrly, like the Red Sucks team, will take your ball and bat and leave, because you have lost. You are not going to respond anymore becasue you have been defeated. But you will read on. Learn a little history about my Dad's Orioles. They were better than the Red Sucks will ever be. And we brought the team through the farm system, unlike your pruchased team. Red Sucks fans are the worst when visiting Camden Yards, even worse than the Yankees fans. Thanks for spending your money here. When the last game was tied, Red Sucks fans didn't even hang around to see them lose. They knew what was going to happen. And the ones that did stay, did not hang around to wait for the Tampa score. All you could see was their Red Asses heading out of the stadium. How great it was to beat that arragant jerk, Papelbon. A great moment for ALL of baseball, not just Orioles fans.

• darryljohnston October 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM #

Yaaaa for you! Exactly the reason I don't like the Orioles and I guess I'm one of the reasons you don't like the Red Sox. See you next year. Maybe you'll win 70!

- Darrly

21. J_red October 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM #

Everyone's assuming that the players are the ones who lack accountability in Tito's complaints. What about the coaches? Tim Bogar never apologizes for sending runners home in idiotic situations.

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 7:36 PM #

Um…I have to agree with your point about Tim Bogar. Sadly, that's a Boston 3rd base coach specialty.

• truebaseballfan October 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM #

Like that really long game between bos and la, with scutaro on 1st and youk batting with 1 out and hits a high double off the monster and he sends scutaro, stupid decision he was out by a mile and that was the 2nd out, they ended up losing that game

22. Matt October 1, 2011 at 8:30 PM #

Where was the so-called team Captain and where has he been ever since he was given a golden parachute contract and the letter "C" on his uniform. He did absolutely nothing as player nor a leader since 2005 and his mediocrity on the field and in the clubhouse are seeming ignored by everyone in the local media. The only reason they like and support him is because he at least talked to them when other players on the team had absolutely nothing to say to them. That's hardly enough to ignore his obvious use of PED's before baseball finally did something about them, his unsavory off field issues and his pathetic yearly performances between the lines. What is his contribution to the greatest September collapse in the history of the game? I am thinking that he was certainly part of the problem at a minimum based on accountabilty and responsibility normally associated with the title of leader of the team.

• ChipBuck October 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM #

I was all about what you were saying until you implicated Varitek used PEDs. I'd like to know the "obvious" indisputable proof you have he used steroids? His performance began declining in 2006 during his age-34 season, which is fairly common for a top tier catcher. Furthermore, his performance wasn't drastically out of the ordinary in terms of his skill set or the league norm. I'm not saying your wrong, but claiming you can tell a steroid user by looking at him is on par with saying you can tell someone's gay by looking at them. Sometimes you can, but most of the time you're wrong.

23. Derek adolfo October 2, 2011 at 9:14 AM #

My dads orioles were the winningest team in baseball for years. And won 3 world series titles. But anyway. Let me apologize for that O's fan. Were not all like that. All we can do here in Baltimore is hope for competent ownership one day. We weren't always this bad.

• Go Jays October 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM #

Apparently this MLB thing started in 2004.

24. Go Jays October 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM #

I imagine the sense of entitlement comes from obnoxious bloggers who seem to think it's unthinkable that a player could show up from SD or Tampa and think they are "King Shit" or that calls for other fanbases to sniff their asses in response to a childish post (as if the blogger has anything to do with the team's success).

25. darryljohnston October 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM #

I don't feel entitled really. I feel more like I would like it if Baltimore just understood their place relative to the teams. If the Red Sox were just spoilers to the Orioles every once in awhile, I wouldn't be driving by and talking shit. This one person I quoted is clearly not a normal Orioles fan, but there are plenty more that I have run into and often unprovoked. You have so much anger (I say this as a blanket statement) and because of whatever issues you guys have with Boston, you think it's worth reminding us of your small victories.

Eventually, it will get on your nerves. Normally I shut up until either prediction time (Feb/Mar) each year or until a given team's fanbase keeps yapping. Boston is a very provincial sports town. If you actually LIVE in New England, you know this. If you are an outside, you can only comment on the sliver of understanding that you have. I'm not saying this to sound entitled, I'm just saying that if you know what I mean, you know what I mean. So eventually when I hear people trying to gain competitive edges verbally when it comes to sports, I will probably respond. It comes from a deep-rooted sense of responsibility to the Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics.

A lot of America hates all four of those teams. I get to hear about it everyday from every fanbase in all four sports. Do the Carolina Hurricanes have anything to say to Bruins fans right now? No, but the Rangers and Canadiens fans always do. Fans are always in a constant battle. I don't look at the Orioles as any different.

Baltimore has the Orioles and Ravens. I don't like either team. Not even close. But Baltimore fans like to talk. They engage in verbal battles just like Red Sox fans and Phillies fans do. I've gone through enough of them. But Toronto is not the same and Tampa Bay fans are either 10 years old or sabermetrics guys ((Yes, I'm exaggerating) who are all pretty passive. Orioles fans like to be heard so periodically we get these little sidebars.

I'll try to be nice next time we do this. :)

DJ

• orioleball October 3, 2011 at 9:13 AM #

I knew you would be back. Can't stand to associate yourself with a quitter by not responding. Can't stand to stand up to your earlier convictions either.
      And who is angrey? Sounds to me like a loser fan bashing everyone else because he little boys lost. You are a typical Red Sucks loser fan.

• darryljohnston October 3, 2011 at 9:46 AM #

I'll stand up to everything I said. I'm not angrey and I will gladly stand to stand up.

26. Derek October 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

I'm an O's fan coming from RI. No, Pedroia is not a faggot. I like Pedroia. I like Ellsbury. Crawford was an awful flop for you guys which is a bummer. Fitting that he blew that final out though.

Just sticking up for the quality of O's fans – That isn't necessary. I didn't think the guy at Fenway on 9/20 was respectful, SCREAMING AT ME that my team SUCKS and incessantly shouting "THEY'RE THIRTY GAMES BEHIND" as if I didn't know – essentially threatening me (he was removed by security). However, I'm just making the point that some people just get too caught up with baseball.

Just figured I'd make a quick comment.

Good luck next season (wish us some too, we need it more than you do – lol)

27. Anon Indiana October 3, 2011 at 6:05 AM #

I've been a lifelong Orioles Fan and I remember cheering on the Red Sox in '04. It was incredible to see a time that had been an underdog for so long win it all. It was exciting. But now, for Red Sox fans to call for Francona's head is ludicrous. It shows the entitlement that comes with the Money. And it shows the pompousness of Red Sox Nation to claim that only the winners can trash talk-win graciously or be an ass hat. To go after the O's is to go after the underdog. Yeah, we are a complete mess but we enjoy our small victories, and to take out an asshat team with asshat fans is a pretty nice small victory. Go ahead and pick on us if it makes you feel better for not making the playoffs while we would just like to break even. Way to pick on the little guy

28. Snackie October 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM #

With regard to the comment "Your Dad’s Orioles sucked. Your Orioles suck and your kids’ Orioles will suck.", here are the straight facts.
    Since The Baltimore Orioles inception (1954), The Orioles have 8 East Division Titles (Red Sox have 6), The Orioles have 6 AL Pennants (Red Sox have 5), The Orioles have 3 WORLD SERIES TITLES (Red Sox have 2).
    Thank you!

• orioleball October 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM #

Great that you know your baseball, Snakie. Obviously, Darryl does not know anything about baseball or he would have never made that comment. It's his Dad's Red Sucks that were horrible, not my Dad's Orioles. I sure wish he would know a little history before making those stupid comments. The Orioles Tradition is much stronger that the Red Sucks. I rooted for them in 2004 because I felt sorry for them, a losing team forever. Never again will I root for this bunch of cry babies.

29. ldsdbomber October 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM #

this article was just…. great. good job on all points!