Making Sense of Intolerant Remarks: The Luke Scott Edition

Leap Day is a magical time that comes only once every four years.  Leap Day William emerges from the Marianas Trench to bring candy and joy to children everywhere.  It’s a day where anything can happen, and nothing counts.  Or at least that’s what last week’s 30 Rock episode taught me.

Luke Scott, who will never be accused of being the brightest guy in the room (even in a room full of new born babies that inadvertantly punch themselves in the face), seems to have taken the Leap Day sentiment too much to heart.  As I’m sure most of you have probably heard by now, he sat down with Bill Chastain of mlb.com on Wednesday, and provided a rather classy quote about Red Sox Nation:

“Just their arrogance. The fans come in and they take over the city. They’re ruthless. They’re vulgar. They cause trouble. They talk about your family. Swear at you. Who likes that? When people do that, it just gives you more incentive to beat them. Then when things like [the last game of last season] happen, you celebrate even more. You go to St. Louis–classiest fans in the game. You do well, there’s no vulgarity. You know what? You don’t wish them bad.”

(snip)

“I got to see a priceless thing driving back to my apartment,” Scott said. “I see all the Boston fans walking around, and I mean they were crying crocodile tears. People were like this, walking side by side.”

I’ll give you a moment to take all of that in as the classiness wafts over you.  Still waiting.  Alright.  Are we good?  Good.

Clearly, Scott has never been one for tact or intellectual thought.  This is, after all, the same man that still believes Barack Obama isn’t a naturalized citizen of the country of which he’s President despite producing his birth certificate multiple times.  Still, that’s neither here nor there.

Scott’s comments come off as both bitter and misdirected.  I can understand his distaste for the Red Sox organization to an extent.  For several years, he played for the AL East cellar dwelling Baltimore Orioles that had its teeth kicked in by the Red Sox year-after-year.  The gap between the two franchises in terms of payroll, front office leadership, and ownership has become so vast that I can understand the “Us vs. Them” mentality that has seemingly manifested itself on the Orioles roster.  For a veteran like Scott, who only has so many years left to win a championship, it probably became a bone of contention for him as he knew deep down the Orioles had only a minute chance of winning anything.

Making matters even worse, Camden Yards turns into Fenway Park South every time the Red Sox come to town.  (By the same token, Camden turns into Yankee Stadium South whenever the Yankees come to town.)   Red Sox Nation eats up all of the tickets, packs themselves into the stadium, and turns an Oriole home game into a road game.  This has to be disheartening to the Oriole players.

Let’s be honest with ourselves for a second.  Scott does have a point.  As a group (not necessarily on an individual level), we’re not the classiest bunch of fans.  We’re rude, obnoxious, loud, belligerent, and frequently hammered.  Yes, we yell obscenities around children.  Yes, we talk about doing horrible things to certain player’s mothers.  Yes, we start trouble.  It’s just a fact.  We’re passionate.  We let our emotions get the best of us.  We probably care a little too much.  On some level, I can understand Scott’s distaste for the fan base at large.   We aren’t as bad as Jets fans, but we’re not exactly likeable either.

One thing about I don’t understand about Scott’s position is that he seemingly takes joy in seeing other people in pain.  He called Red Sox Nation’s reaction to the loss in Game 162 last year as ”priceless,” and made light about fans crying ”crocodile tears.”  Genuinely decent people don’t feel this way about others with which they have no real connection.  He doesn’t have to feel sorry about beating the Red Sox, but enjoying the sorrow of others is the sign of a sociopath.  Expressing these feeling publicly is even worse.  It shows that he’s nothing but a cold, bitter, cruel, intolerant person.

I’ve never been one for booing players (although I did heckle Corey Patterson once, just of fun), but I’m going to enjoy booing the hell out of Mr. Scott this summer.

Visit Top Bet for all of your sports betting needs.  Choose from MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, College Football, College Basketball, and more! March Madness has arrived.  Be a part of the action from the opening tip off of the play-in game though the final second of the championship game.

Categories: Luke Scott

After being slapped with a restraining order for stealing Nick Cafardo's mail, I was forced into retirement for a brief period of time. As fun as it was to lounge around the community pool and play shuffleboard with noted internet columnist, Murray Chass, I quickly felt a yearning to write again. Now in my second tenure with Fire Brand, I have set lofty goals of achieving world domination, ending the plight of the hipsters, and becoming BFFs with Mike Trout. I am fluent in two languages (Sarcasm and English, in that order); have an intimate relationship with M&Ms; firmly believe that Lucille is the best character on Arrested Development; and spend my spare time trolling select members of the Boston media. You can follow me on Twitter @Chip_Buck.

18 Responses to “Making Sense of Intolerant Remarks: The Luke Scott Edition” Subscribe

1. Matthew B March 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM #

I agree with your overall sentiment. In every fan group for any team, there are those fans. What Luke Scott did is what makes Scott such an oversized joke you can't help but feel isn't real. You cannot take an entire group of people and qualify them as one thing. And with that, the 30 rock reference was well done.

2. Dave March 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM #

Yo Chip,

You sound like a huge Luke Scott fan. Me too!! If you like him as much as I, you might enjoy reading this:

• Gerry March 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM #

Bis philosophy, words, behavior, politics indicate he is tightly wound and looking forward to retirement in a survivalist commune. Not sure if heckling him would be a wise decision in terms of personal safety. Does he represent the widening political/ideological rifts in the USA and the world? Thanks for nothing Rush!

3. mattymatty March 3, 2012 at 2:13 AM #

Great points, Chip.

I agree, Scott does have a point. I've seen Red Sox fans, a club of which I'm decidedly a member, say and do some nasty things. But, as you point out, there are worse fan bases, at least by reputation — which is what we're talking about — but I understand the dislike at least on an intellectual level. The rest of the package I can do without however.

In any case, I doubt Mr. Scott did himself any favors when he comes to his inevitable travels to Boston, not to mention when the Red Sox and their sizable traveling fan base, which is occasionally larger than the Rays home fan base, come to his town.

4. dkdc March 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM #

Hahaha. You say we Sox fans are a bunch of obnoxious twits and then cry crocodile tears when some player gives it back a little. My suggestion? Grow up an grow a little thicker skin.

5. RealEastCoast March 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM #

A sociopath doesn't give a damn about getting joy out of anything, they just feel nothing. Learn how words work before you start using them wrong. Just because someone took joy out of causing a group of obnoxious fans disappointment, and it happened to be YOUR obnoxious team, it doesn't make them a sociopath. Scott's comments in this instance are generally right on, a moment of clarity in an otherwise muddled philosophy on life.

• ChipBuck March 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM #

So you're saying that Luke Scott is a completely rational person that typically speaks with the utmost intelligence. Got it. Moving on…

6. socalbirdfan March 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM #

So, you admit that Scott's comment's have a point after you call him bitter and misdirected. Could it be that you really just need to attack Luke Scott and he is an easy target?
    You call attention to some pretty condemning statements about Red Sox fans that Scott never mentioned. You call them rude, obnoxious, etc., 'we yell obscenities at children'. Charming. I have two daughters who I occassionally bring to games out on the left coast and one of the reasons I don't go as often is for just the things you note.
    I am also a lifetime Orioles fan, who had the pleasure of hosting my father in law while he was still alive and watching him enjoy the Red Sox victory in the World Series the year they finally 'broke the curse'. I got even more enjoyment from seeing them beat the Yankees earlier in the playoffs. Tell me you Sox fans didn't enjoy the fans Yankee wallowing in it that year. Come on.
    Whatever the case, the things you listed here that Sox fans do at OPACY or anywhere else for that matter doesn't qualify as passion it just qualifies them as jerks.

• ChipBuck March 13, 2012 at 7:17 AM #

I enjoy watching the Yankees lose, as a team. I don't take joy in individual players losing or watching the fans lose. I realize that I'm one of the few, but I actually have a great deal of respect for the Yankees–and all other franchises for that matter.

7. greg March 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM #

"Genuinely Decent" people usually don't curse around children either.

• ChipBuck March 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM #

I'm not saying they don't, but there's a huge difference between swearing in front of children and taking satisfaction in the pain and sorrow of others. For what it's worth, I would be just as irritated with Scott had he made the same remarks about the Yankees, A's, or any other team. He's a jackass, pure and simple.

8. Old Billy Ratbones March 5, 2012 at 4:43 AM #

I grew up in Maryland but have lived in Boston for the past 10 years. To my great shame, I am still an O's fan. That being said… Sox fans are BY FAR the most obnoxious, entitled, bandwagon-riding, beer-swilling louts out there. Have you ridden the T after a game gets out? Its hell on earth. I am no sociopath but man, let me tell you, seeing my fellow Bostonians walking around with that shell-shocked look in their empty eyes on Thursday morning after losing to the O's was indeed very satisfying. Luke Scott, not the smartest guy in the room for sure, maybe didn't phrase it right but the sentiment is the same: it's what Lisa Simpson would call schadenfreude. By the way the Sox were 10-8 vs the O's last year, not exactly kicking teeth in.

• ChipBuck March 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM #

I agree that the Sox fans are most of what you said, but I'd like to introduce you to a few Jets fans. You might feel a little differently. Also, the majority of wins last year came in September. I was talking more in general though, as the Red Sox have pretty much owned the O's for the past decade.

9. Ben March 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM #

Technically, Obama isn't a naturalized citizen – the naturalization process is only for those who were not born in the US of A.

10. Paul marino March 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM #

I don't really see why you take offense/ are surprised by Scotts reaction to red sox fans. You admit to the very nature which would encourage or engender scotts "sociopathic" remarks. Boston fans are no better. Red sox fans get a pass for irresponsible behavior because they may "care too much"? Do they not take pleasure when the Yankees lose critically important games? Scott must feel neutral about beating the team whose fanbase certainly doesn't hold back their feelings. Honestly this article comes off hypocritical.

• ChipBuck March 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM #

Paul – I get excited about beating the Yankees or Rays–the team, the collective. I don't get excited about beating Jeter, Longoria, or the fans. I don't take pleasure in their sorrow or pity. That's the difference. I admit that as a collective Red Sox fans are kinda douchy. That doesn't mean we're all douchy. When I go to a game, I go to watch. Others don't. They go to get drunk and enjoy the social atmosphere. I'm taking his remarks from my personal perspective while acknowledging the downfalls of the fan base. That's not hypocritical. It's rational.

11. @DarrylJohnston March 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM #

I could give a shit what anyone thinks of me as a fan. I love the Red Sox and I like bragging, heckling and having fun. Call me whatever names you want. Luke Scott can eat it. I'll heckle him until he does another interview.

12. @DarrylJohnston March 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM #

Also this fan base is really large so you are going to get a disproportionate number of douches. Also, we are new to winning and so that's where the bad behavior comes out. Yankees fans are lifelong winners and thus behave much better imo.