Blockbuster Red Sox/Dodgers Trade

Gonzalez, Beckett, Crawford and Punto to LA for Loney, Sands, De Jesus Jr., Webster and de la Rosa

According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the Boston Red Sox have completed a trade of Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to the Los Angeles Dodgers for 1B James Loney, 1B/OF Jerry Sands, IF Ivan DeJesus Jr., and pitching prospects RHP Allen Webster and RHP Rubby de la Rosa (as a player to be named later). Loney will be a free agent at the end of this season.

The Red Sox will send $12 million to the Dodgers to complete the deal. All told, the Red Sox will be relieved of over $270 million in contractual obligations.

Categories: Adrian Gonzalez Allen Webster Boston Red Sox Carl Crawford Ivan De Jesus James Loney Jerry Sands Josh Beckett Los Angeles Dodgers Nick Punto Rubby de la Rosa

Scott Candage is a long-time Red Sox fan. He recently came in third in the 127th annual Upperclass Twit of the Year competition. His best friend is a tree and he is a stockbroker in his spare time.

9 Responses to “Blockbuster Red Sox/Dodgers Trade” Subscribe

1. ScottCandage August 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM #

Kudos to Cherington. He was never going to do better than getting four prospects (two top ones) back in this deal. There was no need to wait until winter to shop the deal. It's a shame the Sox had to lose Gonzalez to get rid of Beckett and Crawford but that was the price to be paid. All in all, I'm looking forward to the new Red Sox!

2. DezoPenguin August 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM #

I'm amazed at some parts of this deal. That the Dodgers would want Gonzalez makes complete sense to me given their sucking chest wound at 1B, and I can see why they'd take a flier on Beckett (a move to the NL, a move to a pitcher's park, and his weird odd-even up-down split. I can't imagine why they'd want Crawford unless the Sox are contributing a lot of cash (since they already have Victorino/Kemp/Ethier, and getting AGon means that the "move Ethier to 1B" solution won't work). Similarly, that the Sox would take Loney back…well, I suppose it's fair that if the Dodgers are taking two of the Sox's bad contracts that the Sox should reciprocate at least once.

All in all, Cherington has to be complimented for getting rid of several financial albatrosses (even Gonzalez, while definitely a good player and better than most 1Bs in MLB, has an awful contract), even if it raises some questions. One thing we learned this year is that the Sox definitely have outfield depth (though hopefully this doesn't mean Ross gets overpaid–he's a valuable player, but not a star and not worth star money).

…Now if Cherington can somehow find a taker for Lackey, he may have to be crowned GM of the Year!

• ScottCandage August 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM #

Thanks for responding, Dezo. Remember that Loney's deal expires at the end of this season. He's here because the Dodgers didn't need him after the deal and Loney is (marginally) better than Mauro Gomez. Loney is the crumbs in this deal.

The Red Sox got out from under what was thought to be two onerous contracts (Beckett and Crawford), had to give up Gonzalez as the penalty, but still got back four young pieces – two very good to excellent pitching prospects and two utility + guys). And they only had to pay $12 mil to get rid of over a quarter of a billion in contractual commitments.

Losing Gonzalez will hurt. But if this gets the Red Sox back to the core principle of a "player development machine", I love it. It will be more interesting to watch in the long term than free agents failing to live up to their bloated contracts.

• DezoPenguin August 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM #

I actually hadn't realized about Loney's contract when I wrote that post, so that makes it even more amazing a deal, where they can let him walk out the door. If Webster or De La Rosa actually works out as a pitcher, that's a bonus, but getting rid of those awful contracts (heck, even though AGon was actually a positive producer, even this year, being committed to him through 2018 was a mistake. The financial flexibility gained in one day is astonishing.

It makes me wonder what next year's plan is going to be. It'd be foolish to raid the FA market too hard, but I can't see Boston going "all-in" on true rebuilding. Though to be fair, 4th place with a budding young team getting its legs under it is a heck of a lot more palatable than 4th place with overpaid veterans and contentious infighting. It's a great move no matter what, though; the Sox need to strive to be the Rays with more money rather than the Yankees with less money!

3. LarryAtIIATMS August 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM #

You could have traded those four guys for Carrot Top and it still would have been a brilliant move on your part. You traded a guy that can play now, a guy that can't, a guy that won't and a guy that shouldn't.

The Dodgers' new management is like dead money at a poker table. Kudos for striking first and taking most of that money.

Scott, the easiest commodity to find in free agency is a big-hitting slow-footed first baseman. They make new ones every year. You can spend half of what you were going to spend on A-Gon, get 80% of the production, and have the money left to move Lackey's contract back to the Angels.

The only downside for you is that the 2013 version of the Red Sox looks like a better long-term fit for Bobby V.

4. ScottCandage August 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM #

Thanks, Larry. It just wasn't going to get better than the Dodgers offer, winter or not. The stars aligned and Ben pulled the trigger. But Bobby V. seems to do well with young clubs. This deal may have bought him another year, and I'm all for it. I think he's done as well as any manager would have, given the injuries and the external pressures. Maybe I'm old school (and you know that I am) but I think the players (workers) have to learn how to deal with the manager (boss), not the other way around. Cherington may have been subtly (or not so) hinting at that with this trade. The inmates are not in charge in Boston anymore.

5. LarryAtIIATMS August 25, 2012 at 6:55 PM #

Scott, I'm sitting in my LA office with my mind blown. The Dodgers already have something like $190 million in payroll committed for 2013. As we sit here today, the Dodgers are already committed to pay a 2013 luxury tax.

Here's another one: the Dodgers have $92 million committed to salary in 2017. Yes, that's 2017, five years from now. The commitment in 2017 is to five baseball players. Four of them are outfielders.

• Gerry August 26, 2012 at 3:52 AM #

And the good news is that the Dodgers (due in large part to this deal),after contending for several years in front of sellout crowds and with a new mega-TV deal, will know how to move those contracts if necessary. As for me, I will be attendimg alot more Dodger games to root for Gonzo, CC, Becket, HanRam and Punto. And Loney has been and could still be a plus first baseman. It would not be unrealistic to see him do revive at Fenway and get an extension offer. Though I'm starting to like Gomez for this. Can Bogaerts play 1B in 2014?

6. Mostley August 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM #