Red Sox sign Shane Victorino

Signed to three year, $39 mil deal

Alex Speier has reported that the Red Sox signed Shane Victorino to a three, year, $39 million dollar deal. Victorino is expected to man right field for the Red Sox.

More to come as this develops.

Categories: Boston Red Sox Shane Victorino

Scott Candage is a long-time Red Sox fan. He recently came in third in the 127th annual Upperclass Twit of the Year competition. His best friend is a tree and he is a stockbroker in his spare time.

7 Responses to “Red Sox sign Shane Victorino” Subscribe

1. Daniel Poarch December 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM #

I really thought he would come cheaper. I like Victorino a lot, but his offensive performance dropped off a cliff last year. I guess we'll see.

2. hammyofdoom December 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM #

I thought he would have come cheaper too, but FanGraphs had his worth last year being 14.7ish million with the great defense and baserunning and it was a down year. I totally wasnt expecting this deal, but when you look at Pagan at 4/40 and Upton 5/75, I can only imagine what Swisher is going to get. He's an extremely good defender, great clubhouse guy and as long as last year was an aberration (Which is a key question to have) then he is more than worth the money. We'll just have to see

• Daniel Poarch December 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM #

Yep, I agree. It basically comes down to whether 2012 was an off year or the start of a decline.

3. Cory December 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM #

Seems like there is no chance we pay Ells to stay. I feel torn about that. I root that Ells has a good year for the team, but that makes him more expensive.

4. Hunter Golden December 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM #

He basically has to put up 5 WAR to be worth his contract. His worst year was this year when he was worth over 3. It's hard to assume this doesn't pan out.

5. Gerry December 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM #

Ben seems to be doing a masterful job. He and his crew must have had all the scenarios well organized and orchestrated for the Winter Meetings. Davis, Youk, Loney, LeRoche, Swisher, Morales, Hamilton, Choo, Upton, Stanton, etc. were all on the radar, all in play, with several on the cusp, and Napoli and Victorino emerged as best fits for best deals plus character and leadership, and he didn't hesitate, and he is still keeping everyone in play. It seems Ben's deliberate approach really applies to an exhaustive decision making process, not executing the decision and moving on (see Punto trade, and the stealth signings of the Rosses and Gomes.). The roster is complete and the rotation in process with more than $50M to spend, and he is still maneuvering. Awesome work.

6. R.Espy December 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM #

I just want to know, when is JC Linares going to get his shot at Fenway? I will put Linares against these guys any day, give Linares the League minimum and save a tone of Money for a grander deal!