It’s the unofficial start of Spring Training! Time to drown yourselves in baseball, photos of new guys in your favorite team(s) uniforms, and what have you.
- Someone/something has it out for Red Sox minor league outfielders lately. First, Ryan Kalish has surgery, then Alex Hassan gets a stress fracture, and now…Bryce Brentz shoots himself? Are you kidding me? (Bryce Brentz Shoots Self In Leg, Will Miss Spring Training)
- Contract extensions aren’t given out like party favors. You’ve got to earn it. So when it comes to giving guys like Jon Lester one, well, let’s just say Ben Cherington’s not in any rush to do so. (Will Red Sox discuss contract extensions this spring?)
- With John Farrell back in the fold, the former Boston pitching coach might just improve the pitching staff. After all, it was his specialty, just like ridiculousness was Bobby V’s. (Reunion may reap rewards)
- Your dreams of the Red Sox landing an ace will probably stay dreams. More and more teams are locking them up long-term, and with the way Boston operates now, aces are just another money trap. (Red Sox can’t wait for aces in free agency)
- “As long as he stays healthy.” The eternal disclaimer on anything someone says about Andrew Bailey. He’s lost his closer job, but Bailey knows he first needs to do well as a setup man to get it back. (Bailey looks for a bounce back)
- Case closed. Now pipe down and go back to whatever it was you were doing, Curt Schilling. We’ve heard quite enough. (Theo Epstein: ‘No Wrongdoing’ By Red Sox In Schilling Case)
- The Cleveland Indians. Jason Giambi AND Dice-K. Might as well sign Jose Canseco too, Tribe, since he’s practically been begging you for a job as well. (Indians sign Daisuke Matsuzaka to minor league contract)
To the people who are snowed in…celebrate warmly.