I feel like saying “Happy Monday!” would be an oxymoron of sorts, so instead: Happy Winter Meetings Hangover Day! Here’s some links to try and cure that metaphorical upset stomach of yours.
- Starting pitching continues to be a major hole for the BoSox, with the going rate for starters rising by the second. Heck, even Ryan Dempster thinks he deserves more. (Ryan Dempster Turns Down Red Sox, Royals)
- In 2011, the Boston lineup was loaded with southpaws. Nowadays, not so much. Trust me, this isn’t another excuse to talk about Josh Hamilton in Boston, but he would make an intriguing option. (In Search Of A Left-Handed Bat)
- With Mark Reynolds off the market, it’s looking more and more like Kevin Youkilis may just end up playing in pinstripes for a season or two. Yeah. I grimaced too. (Robinson Cano would welcome Kevin Youkilis to Yankees)
- ‘Roids? Not Pedro‘s style. The old fireballer comments on what could’ve been if the Steroid Era – wasn’t. (Pedro Martinez: “I did it cleanly and my integrity is right where it belongs”)
- Carson Cistulli looks at the utility infielders of 2012, and would you look at that – Nick Punto wasn’t half bad. (What Every Utility Infielder Was Worth In 2012)
- Dash those ill-conceived pipe dreams of getting Wil Myers for Jon Lester. The Tampa Bay Rays pulled off a heist of the Kansas City Royals’ farm system. This only happens in video games, people. (Royals To Acquire James Shields, Wade Davis)
- The Los Angeles Yankees – sorry, Dodgers – threw boatloads money at Zack Greinke this weekend. He didn’t say no. (Dodgers continue unprecedented spending spree)
- Even Arizona got in on the starting pitching market. The D-Backs signed (read: didn’t let the Red Sox sign) Brandon McCarthy to a pretty good contract. (Diamondbacks Sign Brandon McCarthy)
Guys. I want you all to know how sad I am that McCarthy and his famed Twitter account won’t be coming to Boston. Not even kidding. Will Middlebrooks needs a partner in crime on Twitter.