After a week hiatus from @firebrandal “Tweets of the Week” we return with this past week’s best tweets from Red Sox Nation. I hope everyone enjoyed the short-lived west coast trip out to Anaheim because I know our east coasters really enjoy 19-inning marathon games that do not actually start until 10:00 PM for us over here on the EST. However, all in all it was a great weekend for the Sox as they won their first season series since sweeping the Royals after the All-Star Break. In my head that previous sentence sounded much more encouraging then it does now after typing it into this column…
Alas, the Red Sox won a series (on the road against one of the best teams in baseball) so that is cause for a bit of light revelry. On to the best tweets from @firebrand’s Twitter timeline:
Honorable Mention: This tweet is actually not related to Boston, but I decided to add this slightly comical Bryce Harper incident tweet to this list. I’m not sure how many of you are natives of Atlanta, but myself being a resident of the Atlanta area I find it slightly odd how much Atlanta fans legitimately despise Bryce Harper; you would think he is Satan reincarnated when he comes to the plate in Atlanta. Anyways, if you have not seen the video of the “crazed lunatic” (say actual crazed Braves fans) Bryce Harper disrespecting the Atlanta “A” you can find it here. On Sunday, Jason Collette (@jasoncollette) tweeted this about the Harper incident:
Harper really needs to embrace this heel role in Atlanta today. Find a costume shop & come out in a Union uniform today
— Jason Collette (@jasoncollette) August 10, 2014
10. If you are a Game of Thrones fan you will enjoy these Red Sox-GoT comparisons. I don’t agree with a few of them (David Ortiz as Jamie Lannister doesn’t work for me), but Koji as Barristan Selmy is pretty spot on.
Game of Thrones: Red Sox Style http://t.co/e1aywN0u4L
— BoSox Injection (@BoSoxInjection) August 10, 2014
9. This is a tweet from @survivinggrady after the Red Sox-Angels 19-inning fiasco. Who doesn’t love Jackie Bradley Jr. diving catch vines or Dustin Pedroia’s little legs stealing second and third on the same pitch?
I Stayed Up to Watch 19 Innings of Red Sox-Angels and All I Got Was This Crummy Hangover http://t.co/JZisxzY4If
— Red (@SurvivingGrady) August 10, 2014
8. This is not Red Sox related aside from the fact that it was a conversation between two Red Sox fans during a Red Sox game. It is in fact a short Twitter conversation about “extra hoppy” beers and how the alcohol content in these tasty IPA’s would knock Natural Light connoisseurs on their…
@unexpectedbass for example my definition of "extra hoppy" would kill or maim most college Bros. But I chew on hop cones.
— Ben Dobbs (@bdobbs23) August 5, 2014
7. I enjoy @WillysTeam on Twitter, but have to disagree with him here. He was arguing that Mike Carp was more valuable than Shanf Victorino last year #smh
@WillysTeam WAR is far from the end-all, be-all, but it should tell you something that Victorino had 5.6 fWAR and Carp had 1.2.
— Brian MacPherson (@brianmacp) August 5, 2014
6. Hi there Christian Vazquez, I like your new avatar:
Hey Matt Carpenter let me introduce you to our new catcher Christian Vazquez pic.twitter.com/DictJwv4j9
— Sox Lunch (@Soxlunch) August 8, 2014
5. I had to have a depressing tweet in here somewhere. #sorry #dammit
4. More funny things from the Saturday PM/Sunday AM’s game:
19 innings on a west coast game? Good lord.
— Jody White (@JodyBlanco) August 10, 2014
I have stared into the abyss.
The abyss stared back into me, then said:
— Brett Cowett (@BACowett) August 10, 2014
This game = this season
— Dirty Water Rants (@dirtywaterrants) August 10, 2014
3. Since I missed out on the Lester-Gomes-Cespedes trade, I figured I needed to break the Tweets of the Week rules and dip back past a week to attempt to make all of you cry this morning:
Thank you for the memories, @JLester31. https://t.co/IAVREZMfwT
— Jared Carrabis (@Jared_Carrabis) July 31, 2014
2. I too would like to know what was said. Evan, help us out here? #MikeNapoliForever
.@Jen_Royle need to know what was said. @MikeNapoli25 "@MLBGIFs: Mike Napoli wants no part of this. pic.twitter.com/YscuihEclV”
— BT (@BTHoops12) August 10, 2014
1. Red tweeted this after one of Kolten Wong’s two home runs last Thursday. It is gold. Period.
I liked Kolten Wong better when Mike Napoli was stepping over him to congratulate Koji.
— Red (@SurvivingGrady) August 8, 2014
@firebrand’s own Tweet of the Week comes courtesy of Jack Keller during the Red Sox-Yankees Sunday Night Baseball game that took 3 hours and 42 minutes while the two starting pitchers combined for 12 earned runs.