The Red Sox and Yankees met for the first time this spring on Tuesday afternoon. Felix Doubront encountered a speed bump in his other wise smooth spring, allowing 7 runs on 10 hits over 3.2 innings. Meanwhile, Boston’s lack luster line-up didn’t offer much resistance to the Yankees arms, and the Red Sox dropped the game 8-1.
- While he didn’t play in Tuesday’s game, ex-Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was in attendance at George Steinbrenner field. The Boston turncoat discussed his time with the Red Sox, free agency, and his future in New York. (Jacoby Ellsbury: “A lot of great memories” of playing with the Red Sox)
- In the on going battle for center field, Grady Sizemore hasn’t been lost for endorsements this spring. The 31 year old’s latest vote of confidence comes from his former teammate, and current rival, CC Sabathia. (Sabthia: That’s the Grady Sizemore I know)
- Boston’s outfield quandary has forced John Farrell to weigh all of his options. Subsequently, the Red Sox second year manager is set to try Daniel Nava in center field. In the event Grady Sizemore wins the job, the Red Sox would rely on Nava to back-up the oft-injured center fielder. (Sox to take a look at Nava in center)
- Jacoby Ellsbury wasn’t the only Red Sox to changes sides of the rivalry this offseason, Andrew Bailey also swapped uniforms. But while the reliever won’t be ready to pitch until after the all star break, he feels that New York is best place for him at this stage in his career. (Bailey: Yankees provide good opportunity)
- Run through the list of relievers you’ve seen pitch for Boston this spring. Anyone missing? How about Craig Breslow? The Red Sox lefty is still feeling the effects of last years deep post season run and is hoping to get into a game soon. (Craig Breslow nearing game action)
- If Mike Carp had a sense of humor, he would have ran around the outfield like Chris Farley and David Spade in Tommy Boy. Instead, the Red Sox left fielder walked calmly away from the swarm of bees that delay Tuesdays game for 7 minutes. (Red Sox-Yankees game delayed by bees)
- Tweet of the day: Even those who were fed up with bee puns were making be puns….
Who won the beepin' pun contest on Twitter?
— Michael Silverman (@MikeSilvermanBB) March 18, 2014