Red Sox Land Bedard

According ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes, a major league source informed him the Red Sox completed a three team trade, just minutes before the 4:00 p.m. deadline, that lands them to oft-injured left handed starting pitcher Erik Bedard from the Seattle Mariners.  The Los Angeles Dodgers were the third team in the trade.  Here’s how the trade breaks down:

As for Bedard, what can I say that didn’t fit what I said about Rich Harden last night.  He’s a high-risk, high reward pitcher with spotty control and whiff inducing stuff who could really go on a run, provided he can stay healthy.  If he can’t stay healthy, did the Red Sox really lose anything by trading for him? Not really.  If he hits the DL after two or three starts, they’re right back where they started.  All they gave away were a few prospects that were roadblocked by either established major league players, or other more highly respected prospects.

This trade is neither as sexy as trading for Ubaldo Jimenez, nor as fulfilling as obtaining Hiroki Kuroda, but it’s still a solid deal.  Bedard is just another piece in the puzzle that strengthens our rotation; especially once Clay Buchholz returns from the disabled list.  Let’s just hope he hurries back soon, so Bedard’s a complimentary piece, not a vital cog in the rotation.

Categories: Boston Red Sox Erik Bedard

After being slapped with a restraining order for stealing Nick Cafardo's mail, I was forced into retirement for a brief period of time. As fun as it was to lounge around the community pool and play shuffleboard with noted internet columnist, Murray Chass, I quickly felt a yearning to write again. Now in my second tenure with Fire Brand, I have set lofty goals of achieving world domination, ending the plight of the hipsters, and becoming BFFs with Mike Trout. I am fluent in two languages (Sarcasm and English, in that order); have an intimate relationship with M&Ms; firmly believe that Lucille is the best character on Arrested Development; and spend my spare time trolling select members of the Boston media. You can follow me on Twitter @Chip_Buck.

8 Responses to “Red Sox Land Bedard” Subscribe

1. Charlie Saponara July 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM #

This is a good deal, considering the low risk involved. Interesting that the Sox got Josh Fields as a throw in. Another reclamation project. Those projects don't often work out, but at least he's been posting good strikeout numbers in the minors, albeit with no sense of control whatsoever.

• ChipBuck July 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM #

I still have no idea what the Dodgers were doing in the middle of the deal. Trade Trayvon Robinson? Really? The guy's a stud. Haven't Dodger fans suffered enough?

• Charlie Saponara August 1, 2011 at 12:17 AM #

Financial troubles man! They had to unload his minor league salary!

• hitdog August 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM #

Keith Law called the Dodgers' involvement rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Gotta agree, but maybe they were in love with Federowicz, since we had a Kuroda deal including him that fell apart when Kuroda said no go. I thank them for finding a way to get us a starter, anyway. Good luck getting a new owner.

2. Joe R. August 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM #

I love this trade. Much better than the Harden trade that fell through.
    Thanks to Ned Coletti for the extra fire power to get this deal done, nice of him.

The Red Sox improved now, and I can't say I'll miss any of the guys we lost too much.

3. Dogham August 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM #

Somebody better call the police. The Mariners just committed robery and both the Red Sox and Dodgers were victims all at once.

4. Ted August 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM #

Every site that has commented on this trade has the same thing. Josh Fields name highlighted so you can click and get a player profile and yet they all list him as a 3B/OF and not a pitcher. Can someone direct me to any decent info on this player.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Aftermath of the Trayvon Robinson Trade « Mike Scioscia's tragic illness - August 1, 2011

[...] Chip Buck, Fire Brand of the American League: The good news for the Red Sox is that none of the prospects they traded away were highly touted.  According to Sox Prospects, Federowicz was ranked #22; Chiang #23; Fife #32; and Rodriguez #44 in the Red Sox farm system.  Essentially, they traded depth, rather than premium talent.  All-in-all, I’m pretty psyched they were able to obtain a pitcher while holding onto Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Kalish, Josh Reddick, Anthony Ranaudo, Ryan Kalish, Kyle Weiland, and Felix Doubront.  You should be as well. [...]