It was a busy weekend down on Fort Myers. After handily beating those pesky college kids, the Red Sox played their first two exhibition game of the spring against the Twins and the Orioles. NESN aired their first game of the spring. Oh, and Mike Napoli hit a home run that has yet to land.
- Jon Lester and Red Sox ownership reiterated their desire to get an extension done. Both sides have been flirting with contract talks all offseason, so it might be time to put up or shut up. (Lester On Staying In Boston: “It Feels Like Home”)
- We know how awesome Dustin Pedroia is with a bat in his hands. But the second baseman’s defense shouldn’t be understated. (What makes Dustin Pedroia a great hitter has made him an even better fielder)
- Since Ryan Dempster retired(?), you’d think that Jake Peavy would make a conscious effort to be careful around sharp objects. Nope, not the case. (Peavy slashes left index finger with fishing knife)
- Did watching the Jarrod Saltalamacchia era make you long for a competent defensive catcher? Fret not, help is on the way. (Christian Vazquez still has a cannon)
- Remember that Carl Yastrzemski guy who use to play here? Well, one of his grand kids played against the Red Sox this weekend. (Proud moment for Carl Yastrzemski)
- Are fans overrating the 2014 Red Sox? Nah. But it’s always interesting to look at the other side of the argument. (Pessimism and the 2014 Red Sox)
- MLBAM released a revolutionary tool for measuring fielders range. The video will blow your mind. (MLBAM introduces new way to analyze every play)